Studio Lighting kit or Lens ?

alexshairp 12 7 Scotland
30 Dec 2008 6:25PM
I'm facing a bit of a dilema...

I am 17, and have pitifully little money but just enough for either a new lens (which is desperately needed) or for a bargain studio lighting kit. The thought of having enough equipment for a simple home studio is extremely alluring -- that and I have agreed to do some portrait work in the new year.

Which would I be better off with in the long run....I'm thinking: get the lighting, do the shoot well and bag some cash to get the lens later...
Anyone have advice?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2008 6:28PM
Get the lens then learn to use natural light (north facing windows) with reflectors etc.
pixy 12 234 England
30 Dec 2008 7:08PM
I was having the same dilemma im going wit the lighting just for the same reason you have said.
I already have 2 clients who are paying enough for me to get my lens, so all is good!
lool
Mick_Sadler 11 10 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2008 7:24PM
Get the lens much more versatile in the long run
and thats from someone who supplies studio lighting.
PatriciaWilson 16 615 58 Greece
30 Dec 2008 8:44PM
Studio lighting is aimed at producing natural light effect indoors.
If you have natural light for free...get the lens.

Also you should think of the sell-on value. If you get the lens, you will be able to sell it on quite easily if you upgrade later.

Ask yourself, is it the kudos of having a studio that is the main appeal?

You'll take better portraits in natural light with a good lens than in a studio with great lighting and a mediocre lens.

Also, if you go for the lighting, will you get into the 'want everything' trap, ie next bit if cash will go on a snook, more spots, soft box, umbrellas....and so on, and you could end up a stagnant portrait photographer.

With a new lens you will be testing yourself to the extreme with the kit and perhaps find new genre to explore and develop your photographic talent.

Only you know the answers, good luck!
31 Dec 2008 11:38AM
dont buy a lighting studio because you can make your own buy simply using a white bedsheet and a few lights bought of ebay along with sofboxes, umbrellas etc. all for around 150. so buy the lens instead.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.