Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Stupid question

hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
25 Jun 2020 8:14AM
I know.... stupid question it is.... but I need to be sure before spending my...Fatherís Day... dosh.

Iíve just acquired a Panasonic LUMIX GX9 M4/3 Camera....

I shoot RAW and JPEG... sometimes mono....

What would be the fastest/ best ....SD CARDS .... to order please?

Itís a long time since I acquired my current set.

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage Plus
15 655 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2020 9:12AM
I have been using Sandisk Extreme cards - never any problem.
Cephus Plus
15 2.6k England
25 Jun 2020 9:30AM
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2020 10:37AM
Its not such a stupid question - i have never found a max transfer speed rating on a camera body. E.g the fastest it could write to a card of infinite speed. There must come a point where spending more on ever faster cards is a waste of money as the camera can't write that fast anyway.
My rule of thumb is it must be a Class 10 card (that was something about continuous video recording i think) and it should be 80MB/s or above. I like waterproof cards like samsung, i don't like cards with safety switches (not waterproof) I love most of the Sandisk SD cards and usually find a special deal on amazon - good price for the size.
The largest card i've bought for my EOS 6D is a 128G - again not worth having a card bigger than your camera can handle.
Apart from the switch - these 2 seem good - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-SDXC-Memory-Class/dp/B07H9J1YXN
and https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Memory-100MB-Class/dp/B07YFGG1SD
That first one looks super fast.

p.s. I never get microSD with adapters as i just don't believe they are as fast, they are also more fiddly and can get lost easier.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2020 10:52AM
I also found this from what i think is the GX9 user manual, though best to check yourself too.
97593_1593078476.jpg

So up to 128G is possible, BUT.

Also it says you should get a UHS Speed class 3 or faster card - so only my first 64G recommended one is valid for video. Ignore the 128G one as that was only UHS1.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
25 Jun 2020 10:53AM
Jack.....you are just brilliant.... card ordered and paid for....

I have made a note this time.... it will go in my ...spare-Card ...case.

Thanks!

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.