Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Subscribe(stay) or go

arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2015 9:31PM
What are the options on this idea for any new visitors,
whereby the first page they land on gives them the option to subscribe via email address or migrate away?(no links or images viewable or accessible)
Once subscribed, they arrive at the normal home page, but only after subscribing.

Can this be implemented?
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2015 10:26PM

Quote:What are the options on this idea for any new visitors,
whereby the first page they land on gives them the option to subscribe via email address or migrate away?(no links or images viewable or accessible)
Once subscribed, they arrive at the normal home page, but only after subscribing.

Can this be implemented?

Are you suggesting that anyone who's found the site for the first time either pays for membership or has to go away?

If so the idea is doomed to failure.

What's wrong with the current system?
Willpower 10 507 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 12:05AM
What a ridiculous idea. Sad
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 12:19AM
I must be missing something here.
Subscription is free unless its expanded.
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 8:04AM

Quote:

Ha ha ha lol lol rofl pmsl

saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
7 Feb 2015 8:13AM
Chuck that cheap calender you got at the car-boot sale...it's not 1st April yetSmile
Ross_D 7 841 1 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 9:01AM
I think that what 'ahrb' is saying is not as silly as some people are suggesting but the concept is generally only applicable to on-line magazines. I subscribe to a dedicated monthly landscape photography mag (averaging 100 pages). However, if you're not a subscriber you only see the first page plus the list of contents - to get access to the entire mag you have to subscribe (around 20/year which I consider excellent value). That said, ePz is not a magazine but more a dedicated website and seems to be 'all things to all people'.
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
7 Feb 2015 9:06AM
My personal feeling is that ahrb's suggestion would lead to fewer people joining the site.

With the present model whereby new members automatically get 3 free weeks access to the added benefits of Plus membership, we are giving them the chance to enjoy the whole site before deciding whether to; 1) not come back, 2) continue as a non-paying member, or 3) sign up for Plus membership.
By having to subscribe from day one, you are not being given any choice, other than to pay up or leave.
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 9:52AM
The people who subscribe to on line magazines are usually aware of the content by reading printed copies first.

This idea wouldn't work for someone who'd just discovered the site and has no idea what the content actually is.
tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 10:23AM
I don't think that Andrew is suggesting anyone pays for anything

I interpret his statement has meaning that you at least register with an e-mail address before you are allowed to view any of the content
Something I do all the time with various construction websites
For subscribe, read register
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
7 Feb 2015 10:25AM
You may well be correct in your interpretation, Adrian, but he did write 'subscribe' and the replies given are based on that one word.
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
7 Feb 2015 10:53AM
I've just looked this up on my phone and the front page says "Why not join for free today?", but I can then scroll down to see reviews, photos and forum topics without either logging in or joining.
7 Feb 2015 11:26AM
Good morning! Thanks for the responses Smile
Adrian is correct in that my suggestion is asking for an email address, and nothing more.
I used the term 'subscribe', because I have looked at quite a few blogs and websites use the term 'subscribe', which is simply asking the viewer to supply an email address - nothing more.

There is certainly more fluidity in the term subscription than in its original form, in that you can subscribe to someones opinion or ideology
but I understand how some might still misunderstand subscription as asking for payment.

The reasoning behind this idea is that many viewers visit a blog or website - some migrate away in seconds whilst others really enjoy the content and have every intention of returning but forget to. Once you have a list of email addresses from viewers subscribing, or should I say 'registering' interest, you can alert your viewer/readership by email, each time you add new content.

The current problem is, adding a small 'email register' box within the website is much less effective at gathering a regular viewer/readership, than using a landing page with a 'register' or 'migrate away' message.
If you really want to know what's inside, you will supply an email address.
7 Feb 2015 11:39AM
How many people pay to Subscribe to the Ephotozine newsletter?
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 12:23PM

Quote:Ishould I say 'registering' interest, you can alert your viewer/readership by email, each time you add new content.
It's a thin line between that and spamming and that is why people are reluctant sign up for things. Long experience tells us that sites that say they will not market our email addresses often actually do. By being able to view and participate with a site like ePz, you gain confidence that they are not the type of site that will do that. I would want that confidence before I signed up to anything. Personally, I'd be very suspicious of such blatant email harvesting and I'd click away from the site.

Also, any site that makes its large share of its revenue from advertising (and most magazine web sites do) wants maximum footfall (eyeball? Smile Those eyeballs do not need to be signed up to anything to be valuable.

I personally can't see what would be to gain. People who see ePz and like it will come back. If they then want to participate in the forums and competitions they will need to sign up. It'd be interesting to know what proportion of ePz viewers are signed up. I would imagine it would be a high proportion and higher because it is voluntary than if it were compulsory,

That's not to say i's not a viable route for other sites to take.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.