Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Subscribe(stay) or go

saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
7 Feb 2015 12:30PM
Andrew - thanks for the clarification. I for one associate the word 'subscribe' to mean 'sign up for / pay for'.

I am unsure about the registration idea you forward here. I am sceptical when a website asks me to access the site by first registering with my mail address. Invariably, I get bombarded with loads of spam, all generated from that registration, and I find spam the most annoying aspect of internet life.
In other words, filling in my mail address puts me off.

On the other hand, I understand the sites wish to add to their user numbers even if it is for the purpose of being able to point to exaggerated user figures.

Edit: lemmy just beat me to it.
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 12:58PM
@ Lemmy, this is in the Foliopic forum, and has nothing to do with how I think epz should be run, which is what I took your comment to assume?
My only mention of epz was that they use the term subscribe for a free newsletter sign-up.

@ Malc, I am also reluctant to give away my email address willy-nilly for the same reasons that you mention.
However, if you were to hear or read about a well recommended, great resource for one of your interests,
with clarification that your email would only be used to update you for that specific blog/website,
would this change your mind about signing up?
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 1:08PM

Quote:has nothing to do with how I think epz should be run, which is what I took your comment to assume
Misunderstood, sorry! Probably wouldn't change what I think, though. Re @Malc, I personally wouldn't find such a clarification convincing. Some of the biggest sites transgress in this respect.
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 1:29PM

Quote: Re @Malc, I personally wouldn't find such a clarification convincing. Some of the biggest sites transgress in this respect.

Do you mean this with regard to any type of email subscription/registation, or just when you get the 'subscribe or leave' situation?
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
7 Feb 2015 1:33PM

Quote:However, if you were to hear or read about a well recommended, great resource for one of your interests,
with clarification that your email would only be used to update you for that specific blog/website,
would this change your mind about signing up?

In such cases I would use one of my alternative mail addresses that I have for just this type of situation. If registration leads to unwanted mails, then I would simply close down that mail address.
If I like the site in question and want to stay, and am not pestered with spam, then I merely change my registered email after a while.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2015 1:49PM

Quote:Do you mean this with regard to any type of email subscription/registation, or just when you get the 'subscribe or leave' situation?
Any

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.