Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Suggest a camera

sillyconguru 15 4.4k
30 Jul 2005 7:58AM
Depends on the price. If you can get a kit that's not much more expensive than just a body, go for it. You can always get the lenses you really want later. Sometimes, kits go for less money than bodies (the postge tends to be higher).

Take your time, don't just buy the first one you like (unless the price is low). If many people want the same equipment, the price will rocket. You can get a bargain if you're prepared to wait for the right auction.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Farris 15 24
31 Jul 2005 12:29PM
I think I'm going to go for a Canon AE-1. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Can't wait to get some pictures up.
Hugo 15 649 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 12:39PM
I have a Canon A1 (it's bigger brother). This Site's first class for helping with the technical side and lenses etc.
Hugo

(the internet always amazes me how nice people are to make sites like that and put it all there for free...)
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
31 Jul 2005 4:41PM
I'd go for a kit, it'll probably work out cheaper in the long run. The most useful lenses tend to be between 28mm - 200mm.
Farris 15 24
8 Aug 2005 7:42PM
ok, so I have been looking at something like this.
AE1 ebay auction
I emailed the seller and he/she will be having more AE1 auctions like this one. I really don't know what is a good price for something like this. I'm watching this one to see what it goes for but if anyone has any input??? Maybe a limit you would pay for a kit like this?
Thanks
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2005 8:25PM
On Ebay UK you can sign in and look at the completed auction prices, that gives you an idea of the price to bid.
Wait for an auction with camera body and accessories, lenses, filters, flash.
You should get a good deal on Ebay on any of the 1970/80's camera's.
Last year I sold a Canon EOS600 body (used by professional's in it's heyday)for 45.
I'd look out for an old Olympus OM1 kit. It's a cracking little camera with the added advantage that the lenses won't work on the Olympus digital camera';s unlike some of the Canon EOS, Nikon, and Pentax lenses so you've got a better chance of getting them at a good price.
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2005 8:32PM
The Canon AE1 would be a good choice - try a bid up to $275, it's worth a bit extra for the warrenty.
Photogeek 14 605 6 Wales
1 Sep 2005 1:34PM
Farris,

I'm a minolta user so would suggest any of the Minolta range . . . . However, (and Here I am going to bite my tongue as this really hurts.) The manual focus Canon Cameras, are an absolute bargain at the moment. The A1, or AE1 are truly excellent, the Manual focus canon lenses, bitingly shrp and to die for. They seem to marry so well with Black And White photography, again they are incredibly cheap, either from dealers or on ebay.

I love the minoltas - Just bought a X370 for my daughter, wish I'd held out for an X700 though :< If I had my time again, I'd probably go with Canon, the only reason I went for the Minolta (7000i) was that it was offerd as a bundle for a 100 quid more than a canon T90, and the AF canons were so much more . . . Still water under the bridge, and I will wait and see what teh partnership with Sony will produce in the way of DSLR before deciding to switch brands :<

Regards

Tony
nikon5700ite 16 1.8k
1 Sep 2005 2:06PM
I would suggest that sooner or later you are going to change to digital as film eventually becomes something of the past so that any SLR in good order ....I'd expect an old Russian Zenit, preferably the newer model with slow speeds, will permit you to do anything your tutors require of you ... will be satisfactory.

The idea of spending 300 pounds on a beginner film camera is appauling to me becuase while it could well have a life of another fifty years there will be little or nothing to put in it in less than half that time for sure.
sillyconguru 15 4.4k
1 Sep 2005 2:09PM

Quote:while it could well have a life of another fifty years there will be little or nothing to put in it in less than half that time for sure.

ROTFLMAO

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.