50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Suggestion regarding links in the forum

Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
30 Oct 2010 8:36PM
Just a suggestion but when we open the minitab to allow us to post a link into a post I've found that the "enter" key on the keyboard shifts whist you're in that window to the "add topic" button. So if you type in the link and the text and then hit enter your post gets posted, but the link is lost (not to mention if the link is mid post you've still got to go back to edit in the rest of the post.

Would it be possible to have the enter key remapped to either the "insert link" command on the new miniwindow or have it at least kept to new line in the main typing window instead of the post topic button.
rhousham 14 435 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:03PM
Hi, I'm one of the web developers for ePHOTOzine - I'm trying to replicate what you are talking about, but having trouble doing so.
You mean you are clicking on the Insert Link icon and you get that box that comes up and then when you click enter the cursor moves and submits the post.
Can you explain further and tell us what browser you are on.
Also just so you know we have a report system
https://www.ephotozine.com/create-report
Which you can submit to and we can help.
Also when it comes to links now you don't have to link them.
I've just posted that create report link and it auto links!
Richard
19 Nov 2010 2:22PM
Thanks Richard!
I'm using Opera to brows the site and its not the curser that moves, but the fact that the enter key remains bound to the button that submits the new thread even when the pop up window appears - rather than being bound to a key on the popup window (for the duration of the popup being present)

I do recall the report function; though old habits in other forums tends to mean I view it as an abuse report command rather than general site suggestions .

And now I just have to test auto linking myself nowGrin
https://www.ephotozine.com/u82735/gallery/1465826
19 Nov 2010 3:06PM
so it does, right ok.
I'll submit a report and we will have a look at this first chance we get prob monday.
Thanks for the heads up anything you do find give us a report it's really the only way we find stuff like this out.
Especially because it was probably just an opera problem. It isn't one of the wider used browsers.
Richard
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
19 Nov 2010 4:24PM

Quote:Also when it comes to links now you don't have to link them.

Pardon . . . ?
19 Nov 2010 4:41PM
We have auto linking - you just paste the link into the body of thet ext and the computer puts the link in when you post the thread.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
19 Nov 2010 5:16PM
Ah! I see.

It's a good job you told me that because otherwise, I'd never have known.

Along with everyone else.

Unless it was advertised somewhere that I don't go.
22 Nov 2010 10:39AM
I've fixed that bug with the links submitting thanks for pointing it out.
Richard
22 Nov 2010 10:41AM
I think we meant it when we said simplified links under the new features
https://www.ephotozine.com/newfeatures
It's just one of those little things that helps some people.
Richard
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
22 Nov 2010 10:55AM
If I read this right, you no longer have the {link=] {/link] (I know wrong opening brackets) if doing it manually. Which has been the only option when using a smart phone
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 11:33AM
Hi Nick,

You can still type it in manually as well.
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
22 Nov 2010 11:45AM
Thanks David - the new way is a good improvement, brings EPZ in line with the majority of on line forums & should enable new users to use it without a learning curve.
22 Nov 2010 12:41PM
Yeah, that's what we thought.
Although if you want to link a word still - you need to use the bbcode. Can't really get around thatWink

e.g
google

Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.