Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Suggestions for 300mm prime?

cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 28 Northern Ireland
2 Dec 2017 10:04AM
Hi everyone

Looking to extend my range of lenses for my OM-D EM5.

I already have a 14-42mm and 75-300mm...what I'm after is a prime 300mm. I realise I will probably have to buy a non Olympus brand with adapter....has anyone any experience of these or suggestions?

Budget around 300 tops

Thanks Jeff 😀

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
3 Dec 2017 6:41AM
Jeff, I imagine you'll only have manual focus, so not much point in paying for AF if you don't have to. I tried the Nikon 300mm f4D last month on a Nikon body, so I had AF, but with no IS, and none in the camera, I didn't get on very well, even using a tripod. However, that lens has outstanding reviews, so it had to be me I guess. I since switched to Canon, and I have the Canon 300mm f4L IS USM, and I think it's the best lens I've ever used. I don't have much experience with it, as I have been a bit busy, and trying to read the Canon camera manual also. Of course you'll get IS with the E-M5. I had the E-M5 and tried a 300mm prime on it, a cheap old one, and when I tried to use it for wildlife, the subjects were long gone by the time I got it focused. David Thorpe, username Lemmy, has a vintage 300mm f4.5 I think, and he told me he enjoys using it. He doesn't post in the forums anymore, but you could message him, or do a search on youtube for David Thorpe, he has lots of great reviews on there, and I'm sure he'll help you.

Note: the 2 lenses I purchased, the Nikon and Canon that I have now were $750 and $900 Canadian dollars respectively. I think the one David was using was only 100-200 in your money.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2017 8:46AM
If manual why not consider an old Zuiko OM adapted.
cats_123 Plus
3 Dec 2017 9:25AM
Thanks for the replies. Realise it will be manual focus...which might help in the long run😀

I'll have a look at your suggestions

Many thanks
Jeff
3 Dec 2017 7:57PM
Have a look here Jeff. This is where I researched when doing the same as you.
cats_123 Plus
3 Dec 2017 8:14PM
Thanks for that...there seem to be lots available, just a matter of finding something within my budget 😀
3 Dec 2017 8:20PM
This is the one that seems to be the best one of the lot: Nikon Ai-s Nikkor 300mm F4.5 ED Lens. And make sure the tripod collar is included. There are lots available on ebay from Japan, and I've had good luck with products from there. All the prices seem to fit within your budget. I would also look for one that says free returns. Postage is expensive.
cats_123 Plus
4 Dec 2017 8:17AM
Thanks 'straycat'...Have seen a few from Japan....will look more closely at this. Used to have some Nikon before I downsized....😀😀
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
4 Dec 2017 8:26AM
Personally I would stick with the 75-300mm that you already have.

These old slow primes are a right pain and you will be wasting your money.
cats_123 Plus
4 Dec 2017 8:35AM

Quote:Personally I would stick with the 75-300mm that you already have.

I'll probably still keep it, but it doesn't quite do the job I want it to.....😀
cats_123 Plus
4 Dec 2017 3:00PM
Just for info...I asked Olympus about compatibility and amongst other useful info they included this...
Quote:When using OM lenses on a digital camera with an adapter, you need to focus with full aperture, then set the aperture, the camera will then set the shutter speed.
4 Dec 2017 7:44PM
Unfortunately, Olympus's only 300mm prime is priced at least twice what it's worth. I left the M4/3 line about 3 years ago for exactly the reasons you're stating here. I had the Panasonic 100-300, and as long as I didn't mind using it as a 100-200 it was fine, but beyond that, it was like any other lens that zooms to 300mm, with image quality fall off in the long end. I tried what you are talking about here, and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe for a bit of fooling around, but I wasn't impressed, I sent the lens back, that's why I mentioned to make sure returns are at the seller's expense, or it can be expensive. Return for the last one I sent back to Japan was $168. It was a long road, but I'm finally where I should have been years ago. However, it was a great learning experience. Good Luck.
cats_123 Plus
4 Dec 2017 7:47PM
I've plumped for s Olympus 300 (from Japan). Didn't cost an arm and a leg, so not an horrendous mistake if it doesn't suit.😀😀

Thanks for your help and interest😁😁
4 Dec 2017 9:44PM
I certainly hope it all works out and you're happy Jeff.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
5 Dec 2017 2:24AM

Quote:
Quote:Personally I would stick with the 75-300mm that you already have.

I'll probably still keep it, but it doesn't quite do the job I want it to.....😀

What could a cheap old legacy 300mm prime do that you 75-300 can not, those old lenses will weigh a ton and still be pretty slow, you will get loads more ca, a loss in brightness and contrast and to top it all no autofocus.

Don`t get me wrong, I use a bunch of old lenses myself, but there really only worth using if there to fill a gap or they will be giving you something that you not going to get out of modern lenses.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.