Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

Suggestions for 300mm prime?

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Dec 2017 6:08AM
He said he already ordered it Paul, we all have to find out for ourselves.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 28 Northern Ireland
5 Dec 2017 8:11AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Personally I would stick with the 75-300mm that you already have.

These old slow primes are a right pain and you will be wasting your money.

I'll probably still keep it, but it doesn't quite do the job I want it to.....😀

What could a cheap old legacy 300mm prime do that you 75-300 can not, those old lenses will weigh a ton and still be pretty slow, you will get loads more ca, a loss in brightness and contrast and to top it all no autofocus.

Don`t get me wrong, I use a bunch of old lenses myself, but there really only worth using if there to fill a gap or they will be giving you something that you not going to get out of modern lenses.

. I take the point, and perhaps I'm chucking good money away, but don't feel the 75-300 does what I want. I definitely can't afford the pro lens, and I'm not too worried about speed... just expanding my horizons I get older. 😀😀😀
5 Dec 2017 8:47AM
Let us know how you get on Jeff. Good luck.
cats_123 Plus
9 Dec 2017 5:42PM
The beast has arrived..and amazingly so did the adapter on the same day (one from Japan, one from USA). Now all I have to do is work out how to use it!! 😁😁

It's heavier than expected.

Will upload some shots when I'm happy.

9 Dec 2017 7:02PM
Good stuff Jeff, hope it works out. Those lenses are clunky beasts.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
9 Dec 2017 10:36PM

Quote:The beast has arrived..and amazingly so did the adapter on the same day (one from Japan, one from USA). Now all I have to do is work out how to use it!! 😁😁

It's heavier than expected.

Will upload some shots when I'm happy.

Yeh they often are heavy, these day`s I very rarely ever go any higher than a 120/135 equ.

But for occasional use I do sometimes use an old Vivitar Vivitar 200mm f3 its a beast but has something quite nice about it for the odd bit of video use , loads of ca wide open (as you would expect) and not as bitingly sharp as a modern 200mm (not something I would recommend for high grade stills) for me it was a fiver well spent, all very seventies`s in looks and output.
cats_123 Plus
10 Dec 2017 10:22AM
A couple of early shots....(both through glass)...one about 10ft away, the second about 2 miles
16933_1512901168.jpg

16933_1512901198.jpg

Notice that it stops down a couple of notches so need to compensate, but early thoughts are that it will be worth the 100 (incl adapter) that I've invested. Just need to stop the hands shaking...may even dig the tripod out of the cupboard SmileSmile

Thanks for everyone's thoughts Smile
10 Dec 2017 8:44PM
Glad you like it Jeff. Yes, dig the tripod out, then do some experimenting with it. Good luck.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2017 7:54AM
Pleased you're happy with the lens. Afterall thats the important outcome of your purchase.
cats_123 Plus
12 Dec 2017 2:17PM
Just thought I would share this advice received from Olympus support, in case it's of any use to anyone else.

Quote:As a manual lens, it's very easy to use and set up, although because it's manual, it will take some time to master on a digital camera.
The focus is fairly self explanatory, whilst aperture will need to be selected manually from the ring. The camera will show '-/-' on the live view.

Due to the age of this lens, we no longer hold manuals for the lens or digital copies of it.
I can tell you it has an 8 degree field of view, closest focus distance of 3.5 meters, weighs 1.1Kg and has a 72mm thread diameter with a straigh helicon focusing system.
When using the Image Stabiliser, you'll have to add the focal length manually, to do this, follow the below instructions.

Click 'OK' when in Live View >> Select IS fro the menu >> when you have moved to the selected IS mode, instead of pressing 'OK' press Info and then manually enter 600mm pressing OK to confirm.

The MF-2 will reduce the light passing through it onto the sensor and I would definitely advise setting up a test environment (even if from the back door) to get used to it before heading out into the wilderness.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.