ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Sunagor

25 Nov 2010 8:10AM
Hello, I've just been reading about Sunagor lens which you can find on eBay. Examples:

Sunagor 500mm lens

Sunagor 35-200mm

Sunagor 80-200mm

Anyone used any of the Sunagor lenses before?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jken 13 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 8:16AM
I've used their binoculars before and they were extremely good, know nothing of their lenses though.
Just had a look, didn't realise they were old..old lenses. They look very like the old Yashica kit my dad used to have, I remember as a kid i was never allowed near it.

jk
Ewanneil 9 1.1k 2 Scotland
25 Nov 2010 9:03AM
I used a manual stop-down Sunagor 500mm back in the early 1980's. It was a pretty slow lens and optically it was distinctly average. This, combined with it's length - about 15" - and weight meant that getting sharp images was always a challenge - even with the lens mounted on a tripod. I think it cost me about 30 back then and eventually I just gave it away because I got a bit fed up with it.

Like a lot of things in life you get what you pay for and as long as your expectations are not too high you may be happy. My purchase was nearly 30 years ago and their lenses may have improved since then but at only 75 it's not going to be brilliant.
franken Plus
16 4.9k 4 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 9:15AM
I had a 200mm Sunagor lens in the 80's. The quality was best described as fair. They were cheap but not exactly high quality lenses.

Ken
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Nov 2010 11:17AM
Crikey mate, Have not seen that brand name for a while.......Grin

Way way back in the dark ages of film and the 70/80s, This brand used to churn out lens for just about every SLR make in existence at the time.

Thankfully they don't anymore.....Smile I tried a couple on a Mamiya 35mm slr I was using back then, Was not at all impressed.....Sad

Unlike Women and good wine, I doubt they have improved with age.....!!!!!!!!!!

Wink
User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Nov 2010 12:05PM
Sunagor... Hmmmm... Sunagor?

(Ah yes! They were always there in the 'Bargain Bucket' at the camera shops back then...)

Wink

Grin
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Nov 2010 12:24PM

Quote:always there in the 'Bargain Bucket' at the camera shops

LOL.....Grin

Funny you should say that Mike.....Smile

Thats where I found the ones I bought back in the mid 70s, I think the culprits might have been " Dixons " Sad The bargain bucket also contained a load of Miranda stuff, Or was that Chinon .......Jeeezz! Them wus the days....eh! Walk in spend 25 quid, Come out sporting 2 big Sunagor tele lens and a Miranda flashgun too.....Grin

That particular flashgun lasted two sets of batteries ( quite an record apparently )........Sad Took it back and bought the big Vivitar " Light Machine " ......With a few quid off for the inconvenince...!!! A few rolls of film later made a small profit by flogging the Sunagors in the ever so poular " Exchange & Mart " ....Smile

What they would term today as a " Result " .....Grin

Aye them wuz the days......Wink
Phil1958 10 272 4 Wales
25 Nov 2010 10:15PM
I had a J C Penny 135mm lens back in the day - now that was bargain bucket stuff Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.