Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Sunpak PZ40X - What's it capable of?

Superficial 14 147
19 Mar 2007 12:08AM
I've just borrowed a flash to have a play with, and I want to know what it's capable of. It's a Sunpak PZ40X which is a fairly basic unit by most standards.

Basically what I want to know is whether you can use it as an off-camera flash triggered by my camera's own onboard flash. I know you can with more expensive units (Sigma ST Super, for example) and I'm guessing the answer's a 'no' but I thought I'd ask.

Any ideas?
stan walker 18 578
19 Mar 2007 7:14AM
Any flash is OK as a slave if you have a sensor attached. Trigger voltage is of no consequence as it is isolated from the camera. The problem lies in the fact that your onboard flash may trigger it prematurely.
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
19 Mar 2007 8:10AM
The premature flash triggering the remote flash so it is expended prior to the taking of the shot is not 'Red-Eye', though it could be, but the flash used by the camera to help it focus.

Working with my Nikon 5700 I organised a cardboard mask which shielded the on-board flash from the subject but permitted enough light to escape to trigger the remote flash at about 45 degrees round from the camera.

I am guessing that the 'focus flash' was not strong enough to trigger the remote and only the strong 'proper' flash in sync with the shutter triggered the remote ... but that is just an empiracle conclusion Smile

You can get triggers which do not react to the 'pre-flash' but I was just using a Jessops trigger, about UKP11.
The flash was probably even more basic than yours, just a Sunpak Auto20 which I have had for years.
stevebostock 15 244 England
19 Mar 2007 9:30AM
I've got this one, you can't slave it as it has no sensor. Apart from that feature (which i've really only needed once in 12 months ownership) its pretty good all round flash, eats batteries a bit, as they tend to, but works well, especially with a diffuser fitted - I have jsut got the lightsphere and it works brilliantly with it

steveb
Superficial 14 147
19 Mar 2007 6:23PM
Yeah I didn't think it was capable of sensing. But at least I know. I will have a play with it tomorrow and see whether I should get a trigger or not bother.

Thanks for the help.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.