Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Swimming Photography

22 Sep 2010 8:06PM
Hello, I am going down to our local swimming baths on Sunday to take some pictures of their childrens's swimming club in action. Parents have given permission for photos to be taken and CRB is taken care of. Taking images of them diving, I can imagine is not too difficult, but swimming seems like a tough one to me. Can anyone offer me advice on taking photos of swimmers?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigRick 13 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 8:12PM
try to get them when they are above water Wink
User_Removed 10 1.4k England
22 Sep 2010 8:12PM
Go with a zoom, wider shots of swimmers lose alot of the "action" frozen water can create.
MrGoatsmilk 11 1.5k England
22 Sep 2010 8:26PM
Never have taken these types of shots, but would imagine getting down low so the swimmer is almost at the same level would help portray them in action, shooting when their head is facing toward the camera.
v8dunc 12 333 4 Scotland
22 Sep 2010 9:01PM
I found when taking shots of swimmers as said allready get low down,i lay down on a black bag to try to keep dry,camera on poolside.Remember to move before they do their turn or youll get wet.It tends to be darker than you would think so a high iso can be needed.I found that shots taken standing didnt have the same impact

Duncan

tn-hannah-2.jpg

23 Sep 2010 10:55AM
Ah cool, thanks Smile
Britman 13 1.7k England
23 Sep 2010 10:06PM
Have a watch of this: swimming pictures
BigRick 13 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2010 5:51AM
the housings for the strobes look handy.... even for 'normal' outdoor shooting in the rain. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.