Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

SX70 Manipulation

J-P 18 396
5 Mar 2003 10:05AM
OK, it's unlikely I know, but do any of you have any experience of Polaroid SX70 manipulation ??

I've just bought one of those iconic leather covered folding Polaroid SX70s from the 1970s.

I've seen pictures on the internet where people have manipulated the image during the development to get a painted effect. Trouble is no one parts with their techniques.

It looks great, like nothing you could do in Photoshop. Have a look
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
5 Mar 2003 6:22PM
JP You'll notice that a Polaroid SX 70 print has a pouch at the bottom. This is where the developing agent is. When the print is ejected automatically out of the camera the developer is squeezed out of the pod and spread evenly over the exposed internal surface. You need to prevent this happening to create the special effects. As soon as the Polaroid ejects use the back end of a pen or pencil or similar smooth rounded item and press across the surface of the print. Then when the image appears it will have the familiar streaks because the developer doesn't work evenly. You can try lots of variations on this theme but the trick is to make it suit the image that is about to appear.
J-P 18 396
6 Mar 2003 8:49AM
Thanks Pete, do you know anything about temperature ? I've heard of people using handwarmers or running back to their cars with the heaters on.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Mar 2003 8:58AM
I've never come across those techniques. It takes about 5 mins for the Polaroid to fully develop. You need to do the rubbing early so if you use a hand warmer or heater it would speed up the process and I wouldn't think it would work as well...unless they are doing something different.
J-P 18 396
6 Mar 2003 9:37AM
Actually, I've just tracked down a book on sx70 manipulation on Amazon. I'll have a read and maybe do an article if I can master the art.

I've also just bought a Nikon FE and now I'm after one of those LED watches with the red display. 1978 was a glorious year !
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Mar 2003 10:12AM
Will you be singing "lets do the time warp agaaaaiin....." Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.