Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Sync Toy from Microsoft

simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2009 9:30PM
Has anyone tried tried Sync Toy from Microsoft and if so is it any good?

Cheers
Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Warriner 14 545 England
1 Jun 2009 10:19PM
I use it for photo backups to an external drive, only thing you have to watch for is if you want to exclude a sub-folder then you are 'locked' into the existing set of sub-folders (no new sub-folders will be included in the next backup, if that makes sense)
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
1 Jun 2009 10:25PM
I use it for getting my pcs set up...

Another thing to watch, if you have say a viewing program on the directory being sync, it can mess up... WIll show you errors though so you can do it again...
1 Jun 2009 10:36PM
Thanks guys for the comments.

I may stick with Good Sync and buy a license for it.

Simon
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jun 2009 10:49PM
There's always ' Allway Synch '...

And it's free - and bullet-proof. Been using it from the very earliest versions.
dcbrookes 11 12 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2009 10:59PM
Version 1 of SyncToy was OK, but the latest version is terrible - it suffers from the usual Microsoft "feature creep" and thinks it knows what you want better than you do. The problem stems from version 2's use of a database rather than a scan for deciding what to back up. I use two external hard disks, using them turn and turn about - both come up with the drive ID "G" when connected: SyncToy 2 did not back things up properly because it "thought" it already had, but in fact the backup was to the other hard disk. So I now use SyncBak, which is free for home use and is excellent.
2 Jun 2009 9:33AM
Thanks David,

Will have a look at SyncBak.

Simon
MeanGreeny 14 3.7k England
2 Jun 2009 12:12PM
Karen Kenworthy's 'Replicator'
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 12:23PM

Quote:There's always 'Allway Synch'...

And it's free - and bullet-proof. Been using it from the very earliest versions.

been using this for a few months (thanks to Mikes recommendation)...pretty good it is too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.