Taking photos in the street

Phillbri 18 110 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 6:13PM
I came across a film crew filming on a public Street for the TV show TOWIE I was intrigued to see the attached notice posted on lampposts in the vicinity of the filming. Do they have any legal rights to stop photography in these situations?520_1504631583.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Oldstoat 5 71 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 6:18PM
If it's a public street, I don't believe so. If you are manhandled, then you could call the police and complain of being assaulted.
Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 6:19PM
They can only do it inside venues that they've hired etc. They can not stop you filming or photographing from a public place. They are trying it on.

Also they've got no more rights than you or I whether they are Lime Pictures, Paramount, BBC or One Man Band Productions.

The notices are intended to be used at premises (it even says that).
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
5 Sep 2017 6:22PM
How are they going to remove you from the premises? What premises? If you are on a public street I'd like to see them try.
Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
5 Sep 2017 6:25PM
Does the public street, or that portion of it, perhaps become temporarily private property for the duration?
As in closed by the council or someone?
Were there any bollards or street furniture to indicate a closed section?
If so, then I guess the public place/private domain thing would apply where photographs are concerned (although it's beyond me that anyone would want to photograph that puerile dross) but preventing people from using social media in any street might be a bit more difficult to enforce.
RoyBoy 14 303 2 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 6:43PM
Blinking cheek! Would be like a red rag to a bull. I would probably take a few pics just for the hell of it and have a bit of fun "debating the matter".
Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 6:50PM

Quote:Does the public street, or that portion of it, perhaps become temporarily private property for the duration?

Duration of what?

They don't have special powers just because what they photograph or film appears on the bloody telly!

Do any streets you photograph in become private property for the duration of your shoot? Would it for mine if I was shooting something for my YouTube channel. Of course not. Think critically about it.

They only push people around because people allow them to do it, give them some kind of reverence that they should not get!

5 Sep 2017 7:18PM
I'm confused. Isn't being banned from further TOWIE activities a good thing?
Phillbri 18 110 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2017 7:33PM
To clarify this was a public Street and was open to the public. No barriers or cordons in place.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
5 Sep 2017 7:38PM
In the past I've taken snaps at Somerset House when they were filming a costume drama. No notices, no heavies pushing people along and no notices. And that was on private property. Also in various locations in London. No banning of photos whatsoever. This Towie lot are just up themselves.

Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
5 Sep 2017 7:44PM

Quote:To clarify this was a public Street and was open to the public. No barriers or cordons in place.

Then it would seem that they're just pushing their luck.
5 Sep 2017 8:16PM
"You are not permitted to film, take photographs or make posts....." etc.

Who says...?!! in a "public space"....!! I'd just love to take some shots and face the challenge..being curious to see on what grounds...

Then delete them anyway 'cos Towie is crap...Tongue
Cephus Plus
14 2.5k England
5 Sep 2017 8:41PM
Being banned from all future TOWIE activities would be a very welcome bonus. Never watched it, Never will!
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
5 Sep 2017 10:10PM
New to me so had to do a search of Towie and see that several of the daily newspapers are covering the filming, some even with a video so obviously that notice posted above does not apply to the press or being even more cynical Towie's press office !
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2017 8:54AM
Bit late now I expect, but this obviously called for an EPZ members meet.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.