Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Taking photos through glass

vickyh 19 706 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2002 11:09AM
I'm going to go on the London Eye soon and want to take photos of the view of London. However I'm worried that shooting through the glass will mean the photos don't come out. I'm a newcomer to photography, so I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some tips on the best approach to take.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
15 Feb 2002 6:43PM
Depends what camera you have Vicky. A compact with autofocus will get fooled by the glass and the picture may come out blurred. See if you camera has an Infinity or landscape mode indicated by a small symbol of mountains. If so set this and the camera will be in focus. If you have an SLR select manual and focus through the glass. Next problem is reflections. Go as close to the glass as you can without touching it to avoid reflections. If the light is low make sure the flash is switched off too or you will get a reflection of that causing flare on the photo.
vickyh 19 706 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2002 9:50AM
Thanks for the info. I got my first SLR as a Christmas present - a Minolta Dynax 5. So I can indeed change it to manual and focus beyond the glass.

I will switch the flash off to avoid it reflecting, but we are booked to go on the Eye at about 6 o'clock, so it will be twilight. Will the photos come out ok, if there isn't any flash? Should I use a longer shutter speed or something? If I use the cameras built in metering system, is it likely to give me a reading that still needs a flash?
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
19 Feb 2002 8:57AM
Definately switch the flash off because it wouldn't be able to illuminate the distant scene. Then you will have to use a slower shutter speed so rest the lens against the glass to ensure good support and no camera shake. Wait until it stops and take the photos. You can check to see if the exposure meter has recorded the picture correctly and compensate if necessary using the exposure compensation mode. You will probably have to add a little exposure using the + setting to ensure the picture isn't too dark.
webwop 19 4
24 Mar 2002 1:26AM
I would also recomend using a fast film, probably with an iso of around hmmmmmm, 1600. i say this as i know the london eye never stops and is always in motion.... perhaps take a few different speed films with you, use you camera to meter the scene with the diferent film settings, then load the appropriate film.
Personally i would look 1/25 shutter speeds, but thats just a guess as im quite new to this aswell.

hope that was of some help Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.