Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Taking stills from TV

conrad 14 10.9k 116
23 May 2014 9:32AM
Does anyone have any experience with capturing still images from TV?

I'm wondering how that works, what kind of resolution you can get, and basically how easy or difficult it is.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugo 14 649 United Kingdom
23 May 2014 10:08AM
Well you can take screenshots from the likes if iPlayer, 40d etc, clearly the resolution isn't go to be very high even on the HD streams
conrad 14 10.9k 116
23 May 2014 10:13AM
Ah, of course, why didn't I think of that, watch it on a computer and take stills. Sometimes the obvious eludes me. Smile
kaybee 15 6.5k 26 Scotland
23 May 2014 1:00PM
I don't know about these days but you used to have to use a shutter speed of about 1/100th sec to allow the whole picture to build up.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 577 England
23 May 2014 2:58PM
If using something like iplayer, you can pause playback at just the right point, then screenshot it.
For those programmes not available on catchup, you could record them yourself, and again pause playback.
You'd only get the resolution that's broadcast, so no more than 1080 in any case.

If you need to photograph the screen, make sure the camera is centred, square to the screen and there are no reflections. That last bit may sound obvious but something that can be overlooked until it's too late (mind you that can happen when photographing any shiny object Sad).

Keith
conrad 14 10.9k 116
23 May 2014 3:02PM
Just tried screenshots. Pausing is unhelpful, because you get a big 'Resume' button centre screen. But simply pressing Ctrl-PrntScrn does work. Resolution is very disappointing, though.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 577 England
23 May 2014 3:53PM
I'd forgotten about the pause issue, it's one of those things you block out mentally Grin. As far as I can recall our TV box doesn't, but I can't confirm that right now.

Quote:Resolution is very disappointing, though

Yes, as the pixel dimensions are small, and the effective 'shutter speed' of a video frame isn't that high so any movement in an image quickly becomes blurred as a still but due to persistence of vision looks perfectly ok when viewed in a moving image sequence.
Frustrating but there you go.
conrad 14 10.9k 116
23 May 2014 4:14PM
Oh well, it was a nice idea.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.