PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

TAMRON AF 14-150 M43 Lenses - Colouration issue

Hi all,

In the studio I work in we have a standard 3 cam setup, using 3x Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K 2's all with the same TAMRON AF 14-150 F3.5-5.8 DI III M43 lenses attached. However 1 camera has a different colouration to the other 2 (we prefer the colouration of the odd one out).

All camera's have the same firmware, video settings and lenses (as stated above) attached. Yet 2/3 camera's have a slight yellow colouration, so it looks different to our main camera. All 3 camera's are going into our ATEM HD Mini through SDI Cables.

I have already posted this in the Blackmagic forum a week ago, but am still waiting for a response.

Has anyone else had the same issue or does anyone know what the fix is?
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2020 11:39AM
Hi Jack and welcome to EPZ.

I guess that very few, if any, here will have knowledge of your set-up, I would say it is unlikely to be the lenses causing any difference in colour, unless of course if one of them was purchased after Tamron had made an alteration to the coatings (if they have).

If you swap the lens you like the colouration of onto one of the other bodies do you get the same colouration, if it still has the 'yellow colouration' then that would suggest a camera body calibration issue...
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
15 Dec 2020 8:15AM

Quote: However 1 camera has a different colouration to the other 2 (we prefer the colouration of the odd one out).

Has anyone else had the same issue or does anyone know what the fix is?

As the colour difference is with one camera body only - the issue is with the camera body.

I presume you have checked all 3 cameras are set up exactly the same way - as in things like RGB or sRGB, one to cloudy white balance and the other 2 to something else etc.

If this does not resolve the difference - check the camera body menus to see if you can modify the colour reproduction with a specific body.
thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
15 Dec 2020 9:49AM
Do the cameras allow setting of "custom white balance"?
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
15 Dec 2020 11:09AM

Quote:Do the cameras allow setting of "custom white balance"?

There are 18 'white balance' presets...

Jack, I assume all three cameras are set to the same white balance preset?
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Dec 2020 12:02PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I understand that this is most likely not the place I will find the answer to my issue, as it appears to be an issue with the Blackmagic camera's and not the lenses. But at the moment, the Blackmagic forum is yet to get back to me.

To answer your questions, I have swapped the lenses around and had no luck in solving the issue.

All 3 camera's are set to the exact same video and colour settings. All are on the same firmware.

They are all set to 4500K on white balance.

Again, thanks for the help. I think I will need to call up Blackmagic support to get my answer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.