Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Tamron AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di

bentspace 17 31
15 Feb 2005 2:51PM
I did a search but found no mention of it here. Does anybody have experience with this lens?

Will the quality be better than my current AF Nikkon 70-300 1:4 - 5.6 G Series that i am really unhappy with?

I figure the 28-300mm would mean i would have to change lenses less and therefore keep my sensor cleaner, expesially in less ideal environments...

At NZ$795 it is worth twice that of my current lens...

Any advice would be appreciated.
bigjoe 17 10
15 Feb 2005 4:19PM
yes the quality is better... i own tamrom af 28-300mmm it's a fine lens i have it on a nikon d70 ...
bentspace 17 31
15 Feb 2005 4:46PM
Great! Thanks for thatSmile DO you know of any reviews on the net?

It has a macro function also yes? is this mode effective?
Cheers
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2005 12:05AM
It was reviewed in AP on 29/01/05.

it received an 80% rating.

For:

Good price
Wide range of focal lengths
Good contrast and sharpness

Against:

Limited maximum apertures
Drawing evident at most focal length settings
Heavy vignetting for wide angles.

Comment: "The result is not a lens to satisfy the really fastidious. Its a very handy tool which to undertake a broad spectrum of out-and-about spontaneous picture -making-and a good beginners buy."

I hope this helps
Ken
bentspace 17 31
16 Feb 2005 2:02AM
Thanks franken Smile

I dont want to make a 'beginners buy' but i can only afford NZ$1000 and i still have no flash unit ( i want an SB600), no Macro lens ( i am thinking Tamron 90mm F2.8 di) and my zoom is pretty stink... Guess it was too good to be true to replace two lenses with one Sad
ahollowa 17 1.1k England
16 Feb 2005 3:16AM
I have the pre DI model and have replaced it. It is soft below about f8 and the colours were harsh. I am a conaon user so can't compare it with your Nikon lens. However in general the wider range a lens covers the poorer it will be (more compromises). I would review you picture taking and see what focal range you use. If you can sford only one lens and your pictures are spread evenly throughout this range then your stuck. If however most of your shots are taken between say 35mm and 70mm then look for a lens covering just this range as it will invariable be better quality. You don't say if this is your only lens or not? If it is I have heard good things of the Nikon kit lens 18-55? which may be a better single lens. If you already have this then the wide end is covered so I would look for a 70-300 or 70-200 to cover the long end. The holy grail of a single quality lense to cover every eventuallity doesn't exist.

cheers

Al.
bentspace 17 31
16 Feb 2005 4:26AM
Yeah i think i am moving towards the Sigma or nikon 70-200 F2.8 with 2x converter...

Do you guys trust ebay?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.