Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di Macro (272E) or Nikkor AF-S 60mm f2.8 Micro?

Leif 15 777
24 Oct 2011 11:03PM

Quote:I use the Tamron, ... it also allows me to throw the background out of focus easier.

Good point. The longer focal length gives a narrower field of view, allowing better subject isolation, and blurrier backgrounds. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tepot 15 4.4k United Kingdom
30 Oct 2011 6:40PM

Quote:I'm tempted Paul, but I have my heart set on a 70-200mm.Grin

Me too Straycat, i'm looking to get the 70-200 F4, it is cheap for an L glass and has excellent reviews across the web.

Terry.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
30 Oct 2011 7:33PM
Terry, I'm waiting for delivery of a used Canon 70-200mm f4L now, it took awhile to find what I wanted.

I intend using a 1.4 TC and extension tubes, so I felt a tripod collar would be helpful. The Canon tripod collar for that lens is $140.00, and the cheap wannabes I don't trust, so I shopped Ebay for a lens including the collar, it cost me $550.00 plus shipping. I'm satisfied that it's a good value.
31 Oct 2011 2:44AM
Not a bad deal Straycat, i don't want the collar but am saving the $650 for a new copy of the lens. i'll look for your first images with this lens, i heard it's really nice.

Terry.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 9:59AM

Quote: i heard it's really nice.

It is my favourite lens to use - not only image quality where (IMO) it rivals some primes, but also mechanically and the balance.

Note to self...must get out more...meet some of those 'girl' things I keep hearing about...
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2011 11:28AM
I have not used the Tamron - but the Nikon is likely to be optically better - at f2.8.
Differences at f8 and 11 (common close up apertures) are likely to be negligible.
The Nikon was chosen for the portrait shots in the 24 MP D3x brochure - a measure of Nikon's confidence in it's optical quality.
The Nikon is probably better on a copy stand because of the short focal length. The Tamron is likely better where you need more working distance. I am guessing Nikon's 105 VR is out of your price range. My advice is choose the focal length that best suits your needs.
2 Nov 2011 7:51PM
The Nikon was likely chosen over the Tamron for the D3x poster since it was a Nikon product that was being advertised.

Terry.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.