Tax credits overpayment. Help needed.

9 Nov 2015 5:15PM
A relative has received a letter from HMRC re a tax credits debt of 350. It relates to "Period ended 10th August, 2007" (Yes, 2007) and is for Child Tax Credit overpayment. At that time he was not in employment and was receiving disability allowance, He finally started full time employment in July, 2014.
I would be grateful if anyone has any advice, guidance or suggestions as how to "tackle" HMRC over this matter.
I have downloaded a PDF from Money Saving Expert, but it will take some time to fully digest its contents.
Thanks in anticipation.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
9 Nov 2015 6:03PM
We have been having tax scams going on here for a couple years now. The people involved obviously have inside help, because they have everybody's tax records, social insurance numbers and the works. I get mail from Revenue Canada that has obviously been opened, tampered with, and changed, It has to be people on the inside. Your friend should contact their tax office and report everything and find out if it's all legit.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
9 Nov 2015 6:04PM
Unless there's been some serious criminal activity, HMRC wouldn't normally go back that far.

The usual limit is 5 years after the latest date for submitting the tax return for that period. Aug '07 was in the 07/08 year and the tax form would have been submitted up to 31 January 2009. The 5 year limit has passed, and you're no longer expected to have documents relating to this period so it should be too late for them to ask for money.

That said, HMRC staff do count as personal retainers of Her Majesty, so they can do no wrong in law.

HOWEVER you should be aware of phishing attempts and never click on any links if the letter arrived as an email.
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Nov 2015 6:18PM

Quote:A relative has received a letter from HMRC re a tax credits debt of 350. It relates to "Period ended 10th August, 2007" (Yes, 2007) and is for Child Tax Credit overpayment. At that time he was not in employment and was receiving disability allowance, He finally started full time employment in July, 2014.
I would be grateful if anyone has any advice, guidance or suggestions as how to "tackle" HMRC over this matter.
I have downloaded a PDF from Money Saving Expert, but it will take some time to fully digest its contents.
Thanks in anticipation.

1. I assume you have "phoned them ?????"

2. You gave NOT downloaded any documents you were not expecting without a good up to date anti virus program running.

We are told about this and not giving out private info or "opening/downloadng" unexpected spam almost daily are we not

Finally, you "tackle" them by ......errrrr....... phoning them, their proper phone number NOT one on a suspect letter Sad
9 Nov 2015 6:32PM
Thanks for the replies so far. The letter was through normal mail, and not an email. Addresses quoted in the correspondence are HMRC @Bradford;HMRC, DMB, BX9 1AG;and HMRC Cumbernauld;
The payment slip has 6 options, Direct Debit; Post Office;Post - cheque to HMRC at Bradford.; etc.etc.
Everything looks official, yet what stood out immediately was the fact it was back-dated to 2007.
9 Nov 2015 7:19PM
While the addresses seem to be correct and both Bradford and Cumbernauld deal with payments this may still not be genuine though sounds as if it probably is. As others have said - phone the local tax office. Its ID e.g. South 1 or similar should be on a payslip or the employer's payroll dept can advise. Be prepared for them not to answer the phone of course and do have details such as PAYE reference (again see payslip) to hand - they are much more helpful if you have such details as it speeds up getting to your file.

brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2015 7:22PM
my suggestion, check the address of your local branch of HMRC and send a copy of the letter to them explaining that you believe it is a scam, asking them to investigate. (Obviously keep a copy of the letter sent to them)

then await their response

Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
9 Nov 2015 7:25PM
It wouldn't surprise me if it's a genuine request for payment.
Without boring you to tears with the details, not to mention that life's too short to type it all up; suffice to say that my dealings with tax credits have been farcical.
The right hand in that department doesn't even know what a left hand is; never mind what it's doing.
My advice (and I'm quite serious) would be to ignore it and see if another one turns up. And then ignore that one.
There's a good chance that they'll lose you in the system, never to be heard of again.
9 Nov 2015 7:33PM

Quote:There's a good chance that they'll lose you in the system, never to be heard of again.
And theres a good chance they wont and they will take it back via your tax code.

Is your relative's tax credit number correct on the letter/payslip? https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-payment
9 Nov 2015 7:57PM
Thanks all, I am still looking at your replies, and waiting for the relative to appear tonight, and hopefully ask him to provide pay slips, NI no. etc.
And as regards the advice "ignore the letter and see what happens," that has triggered something in my mind. [He gets all his mail sent to my address as he does not trust other flat residents, who would open his mail] and this letter starts, "We have written to you before to tell you that we have paid you too much in tax credits. We explained how you can pay this money back...... etc.
No such letters have ever been received in the past.
I googled the tel.no. 0300 200 3805 and ended up with who called me . 0300 2003805 which looks like a scam. Comments in the last few days shows similar results to what my relative is experiencing.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Nov 2015 9:35PM
The number checks out as far as I can see as one used by HMRC. The date limitation on tax only prevents them from using the courts to claim the money but does not stop them from using PAYE or docking any future tax credit payments.
RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
10 Nov 2015 8:40AM
Write to the address on the letter quoting all the reference numbers, keeping a copy, and ask them to give full details of the overpayment.
They either will or won't open your letter and will or won't reply. In either case you have proof that you've responded to their original letter.
bppowell 18 2.2k 2 England
10 Nov 2015 8:40AM
I have had a letter from HMRC telling me I had been overpaid Tax credits dating back to 2005/6, the letter is genuine and the number 0300 200 3805 will get you speaking to the tax credit people, fairly sure its a Freephone number.

I would not ignore the letter but ring them up and try to come to an agreement suable to both.

Barry

Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
10 Nov 2015 8:49AM
What are tax credits ?
bppowell 18 2.2k 2 England
10 Nov 2015 9:16AM

Quote:What are tax credits ?

There are different types of tax credit, but relate to being in work and not earning enough to live on. You can get a tax credit payment if your have children or if you are disabled. It may have changed now, it was 14+ years when I claimed.

I made a claim, told I qualified and the next year was told I should not have qualified. Thought they would go away but it seems the tax man has along memory Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.