Tax credits overpayment. Help needed.

30 Dec 2015 12:24PM
keithh, Thanks for that post. It confirms what I was thinking after reading the HMRC web page. So best to ignore the debt collection agency. I have gathered they are not bailiffs, and have no power of entry, etc. As regards reclaiming the money through PAYE, I would have thought that would be the simplest procedure for all parties, i.e. the 2 parents and HMRC, but I suppose that would be too difficult for the latter to implement.!!
We will just wait and see what happens next.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Nov 2017 5:58PM
See what happens next !!! After almost 2 years from my original query re this matter, a letter arrives today, Nov. 2017 from HMRC. Quote : " Our debt collection agency has returned your debt to us. We are very disappointed that you still haven't paid us, etc.etc."
From what has been mentioned here, and from other sources, debts over 6 years are not recoverable. This one is from 2007, so my relative may as well ignore it once more.
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2017 6:58PM
Suggest you get in touch with Lewis Hamilton and ask him how he gets away with £3.3m........Grin
9 Nov 2017 1:20PM

Quote:Suggest you get in touch with Lewis Hamilton and ask him how he gets away with £3.3m........Grin

Yes, it makes you wonder how the upper crust of society manage to get away with thousands and probably millions in taxes, yet they are content in hounding us small fishes for a paltry couple of hundred..
On the web I have found a site where I have been able to print off a letter to send HMRC re the 6 years statute of limitations, where debts are not recoverable by court.
Will get the relative to sign the letter and post to HMRC, and await developments. From what I gather they will still be trying bluff and bluster to get him to cough up.
thewilliam2 2 1.4k
9 Nov 2017 2:03PM
Let's not forget that the tax laws are framed to benefit the rich, both as individuals and corporations. Why else would such people give so generously to party funds?

In ancient Rome, only the plebeians were liable for taxes with the patricians exempt. Plus ça change!
10 Nov 2017 6:08PM

Quote:Let's not forget that the tax laws are framed to benefit the rich, both as individuals and corporations. Why else would such people give so generously to party funds?

In ancient Rome, only the plebeians were liable for taxes with the patricians exempt. Plus ça change!

Yes, us plebs are hammered all the time. By the way, us Geordies are not plebs.TongueWink
Have posted off the letter today to HMRC, and will see what occurs.
25 Mar 2018 12:58PM
SUCCESS !!! After all the threatening letters from a debt collection agency, which were sent to my relative, they referred the debt back to HMRC. Following that HMRC were still harassing and threatening him for payment. As per my post in Nov. 2017, I downloaded the letter from the web and it was sent to HMRC. The gist of the letter was that it was a debt over 6 years old, and pursuing him amounted to harassment.
Result - HMRC have acknowledged that the debt is unrecoverable, but any future claims by him will result in adjustments to what he will receive, in order to recoup that original debt.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.