TC

Mike_Smith Plus
12 586 1 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 7:08PM
Hi has anyone got the Canon 70 - 300 F4 IS L lens like myself, i know the Canon Tele Converter will not work on this lens, which is crazy really for an L series one. What i am wanting to know is which Tele will work on this lens is it the Kenko?? and if so if i got the 1.4 tele would they be a great reduction in image quality, would i still get AF, i know i would lose a stop but before i buy one i would appreciate any feedback on this Thank You

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 7:54PM
Assuming you mean the 70-200mm F4L IS, rather than the 70-300, I have it and use the 1.4tc without any problem.
The AF is a bit slower but still good, and almost insignificant difference in IQ.
Mike_Smith Plus
12 586 1 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 10:06PM
Hello ArhB, no like i wrote above its the 70-300 F4L IS the Canon Tele Converter will not work on it
arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 10:18PM
Sorry Mike - thought it was a typo -
I didn't even know there was a 70-300mm F4L IS Smile
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2013 10:33PM
The Kenko is a pretty good converter and I have not noted a significant drop in image quality - some of the (rare to find) reviews rate it very reasonably with the Canon tc. Yes, you will still get AF because the tc will take the lens to f5.6 which is within the AF parameters.
mondmagu 9 75 Ireland
23 Sep 2013 10:38PM
I don't have any experience with this combo but have a look at this link,it may help you out.

Des

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1274763
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
24 Sep 2013 6:56AM
Canon converters, like Nikon, have a large protruding front element which prevent them being fitted to have some lenses. The large protruding front element is part of the optical formula for achieving the highest possible optical quality.
In both systems many lenses do not have enough space at the back for protruding converter front elements.
With Nikon you can use the Kenko Pro 300 type converters. These do not have the protruding front element issue and give very good optical quality for the money, quite close to but not the equal of the more expensive Nikon converters.
Whether there are any operational issues with this possible combination is not known to me. The Kenko's can AF down to effective f8 with any Nikon body AF point, though good light is need and focus tracking ability may be almost nil.
As a rule of thumb you get better results with a 1.4x than the equivalent cropping out of half the MP. If you start with a good lens you should get worthwhile results with a Kenko.
Mike_Smith Plus
12 586 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2013 11:14PM
Thankyou to everyone for the feedback, i appreciate it. Yes i will go for the pro one i think cheers everyone

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.