30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

tele convertor

luckybry 11 3 Scotland
5 Aug 2010 10:31PM
i am think of getting a yele convertor for my nikon d90 dont know what to get the sigma 1.4 or nikon 1.7 any other menbers use them a what do you think
bryan j
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
5 Aug 2010 11:44PM
The first question I have is what lenses are you intending on using the teleconverters with. Teleconverters tend to have protruding front elements and so on a physical level they will only attach to certain lenses. Furthermore because of the effect they have some lenses just can't take them without losing too much in image quality.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Aug 2010 11:46PM
Hi Bryan, The type of teleconvertor will depend on the lens you plan using it with.....!

Not all lens will fit or work with all teleconvertors.....!!

For example if you have a Nikon 70-300mm you'll find the Nikon teleconvertor will not work with that lens, In fact it will not fit due to the rear lens element position on the 70-300.

That may be the same for the Sigma Telecon, I seem to remember they have a list of lens that are compatible, Might be worth looking it up.

You might be luckier with the " Kenco " 1x4 teleconvertor, Some of these 3rd party items will fit almost any lens....!!!

However as with all teleconvertors, You might loose some lens features such as VR/AF as well as a stop or 2, There is no hard and fast way of finding out, Other than asking the makers who should have some idea what is and what is not compatible, And what if any lens features you may loose.

Bottom line unless your using something like a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens, Where using a telecon is no problem, You might be better of looking for a lens with more range.

There are several Sigma models, 120-400 & 150-500mm, That get reasonable reviews, And are not horribly expensive for the focal range on offer.

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.