Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Tenerife - places to see / photograph?

foot_loose 18 113
14 Jan 2006 11:29AM
I am off to Tenerife in 10 days or so for a weeks escape from the cold and damp.

I am staying in the Los Gigantes area (high cliffs) on the west of the island but shall have a car.

What suggestions does anyone have for must see places for landscapes (Mt Tiede?)and perhaps places for any wildlife.

Thanks

Peter
User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Jan 2006 1:34PM
My ex-girlfriend?... (Only joking Lizzy!!)

Mt Teide is a 'must' as is anywhere on the NW and northern coastline.
edrhodes 17 548 13 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2006 3:22AM
Peter I went there last year, if you are after water/rock shots I have two in my P/f called Incoming Tide and Evening Light, they were taken in Playa la Arena which is about a 10 min walk. Hope this helps.

Ed..
MDR_Photo 17 872 England
15 Jan 2006 3:36AM
Should go to the Island called La Gomera, its beautiful, quiet and is almost tropical, the forest is similar to a rain forest, lots of beautiful plants and animals.
scottishphototours 18 2.6k 2
15 Jan 2006 8:38AM
Great area you're going to - lots to shoot on Tenerife.

Mt. Tiede is great but beware of the altitude sickness, which knocked me for six ! - do plenty of stops on the way up to acclimatise yourself. Great shots on the road up across the water to La Gomera as I remember.

Lots of nice villages inland - well worth investigating.

Also do a catamaran trip to see whales and dolphins - we thought that was great. The coastal area around Los Gigantes is also spectacular.

I'm envious now - we had several great holidays here !

Andy.
takui neko 18 849 11 Spain
15 Jan 2006 9:52AM
Once you arrive in Tenerife you can get in contact with me and I can tell you good places to visit, as well as some night life if you wish.

My Mobile number is on my webpage and the address of the webpage is on my PF.

Cheers!
foot_loose 18 113
16 Jan 2006 9:30AM
Thanks for the ideas

Peter
sarac 16 63
16 Jan 2006 9:35AM
The golf course at Golf de sur has amazing views.

sara c
francisg 18 705 1 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2006 11:34AM
You are spoiled for choice there but the Tede Wilderness is a must. Lookout for the rock formation of a Molten Rose.

Frank
ginger58 17 71 England
17 Jan 2006 12:09AM
Just spotted this thread. Went to Tenerife last summer, and apart from the Mt Teide National park which you should visit, try and get to The Lost Village of Masca. I wont spoil it for you but the drive to the villlage is--well wait and see. If you have your own car you will be able to get some stunning shots.The villlage itself is very photogenic.Enjoy your hols.
whipspeed 18 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2006 3:16AM
Los Gigantes is a really lovely town to stay in, we went to visit friends who live there two years ago. Mt Teide is stunning & you get some fantastic views. A good restaurant is the Juan Carlos which is in an alleyway next to the church in the centre. If you take the coast path to the next town along, there is a good volcanic beach.
foot_loose 18 113
17 Jan 2006 12:29PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll put some of the results up when I return!

Peter
pjc 18 397 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2006 8:41AM
Howdo

As Mike says, Mt Tiede is a must and it has a range of interesting landscapes surrounding it. One known as the lunar landscape is particularly impressive. The mountainous area to the east of Tiede is very picturesque too, we got a little lost up there driving back from Tiede but I'd like to go back and photograph it. Lots of rugged terain and well kept villages. The cable car up Mt Tiede is supposed to be good, but if the winds are high they close it (which happened to us), but if ur up for it and prepaerd you can walk up (which didn't hapen to us Smile ).

Los Giggantes itself is very nice, I spent a couple of hours around the small harbour and surrounding area just trying out different shots, though I think the harbour would be better photographed in the afternoon and evening 'cause of the position of the sun etc.

The only sandy beach we found was at Santa Cruz, or to be precise Playa de las Teresitas just North of it. Man made but very nice and protected from the open sea by a man made reef or something like that. Very safe for the kids.

Pete.
philcrean 14 5 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 4:36PM
Anyone coming to Tenerife and need a photo guide or some tuition......
[link removed by epz, against site terms and conditions]
User_Removed 12 4.6k 1 Scotland
2 Jan 2013 8:34PM
I was about to reply until I noticed the thread was 7 years old!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.