Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ticket discount with EZPTPS18 for The Photography Show 2018

Test Image for Printer evaluation

5 Jan 2018 4:27PM
Hi again all,
This colour management is doing my head in........but I'll keep going.

After reading a few articles I have got a new custom paper profile from Permajet. (this company is amazing in their customer service, I posted the colour patch at 3pm yesterday and received the new profile in my mail box at 11.30am today)

From my research I decided to download a Test Image from "Digital Outback" which I am instructed to print without any editing to evaluate the paper profile and printer (no colour management).

I imported the test image into Lightroom which I use for all my editing and printing. In the develop mode in Lightroom the histogram shows that the image is badly clipped at both ends.

At this point I have paused the process as I think something is wrong here........

Any advise/comments appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jan 2018 4:40PM
On second thoughts, maybe the pure black and pure white should be clipped as they are at the extremes.

They are not badly clipped as previously stated, just the pure black and white.
I have now convinced myself that the image is correct and the clipping is normal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
JJGEE Plus
13 7.1k 18 England
5 Jan 2018 4:53PM
If parts of the the image has a pure black & pure white ( no detail ) then one should expect to see clipping on the histogram.

Having clipped areas is not necessarily wrong.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2018 4:58PM
Don't worry about looking at the image in the develop module, just go straight to the print module and print with the correct settings and profile.

I use PS to print test images, but you should be OK from LR, just ignore the Develop Module...
5 Jan 2018 5:15PM
Thanks all, I apologise for automatically jumping into the forum with my frustrations and doubts.

Good news here now though, With my monitor properly calibrated and using the new custom profile the test print looks perfect.......hooray!!!

The print looks exactly like the image on the screen for the first time since I started back in photography.

Many, many thanks to you all for your help and advise.

I am afraid that only means that I will most certainly be back again with my future problems.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2018 6:11PM
Glad you got there... it can be complicated and frustrating, but once you get it right it is very gratifying and can become very addictive Smile
5 Jan 2018 8:10PM
Nope, premature celebrations.

The test image prints perfectly, but when I print one of my own images, the result is terrible, just as before. (Using exactly the same settings as for the test image)
At least I know that the profile and printer is working correctly.

There is obviously something else wrong. Maybe something about colour space???????

Will do some more research and trials to see what I can find out.

Chris_L Plus
4 4.3k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2018 12:01AM
Read this recent thread, very similar problem, test image printing fine, others failing, lots of ideas to try

https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/grrrr-printing-----116589/
justin c Plus
14 4.9k 36 England
6 Jan 2018 8:49AM

Quote:Nope, premature celebrations.

The test image prints perfectly, but when I print one of my own images, the result is terrible, just as before. (Using exactly the same settings as for the test image)

There is obviously something else wrong. Maybe something about colour space???????

The mystery continues. When you say your own image is terrible. In what way is it terrible? Is it the colours are off, the brightness, the contrast, the screen to print match? A bit more info would help and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.
The printer evaluation test image is quite an extreme test, so if that prints well, any other image should also print well, at least in theory.

You mention colour space. What are your concerns there?

Maybe post a small jpeg in this thread of the image that's giving you problems.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.4k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2018 9:08AM
Hmmmm, there is obviously a glitch somewhere.

How does your own image display when soft proofing?

It is unlikely to be a colour space issue, LR works in a form of the ProPhoto RGB colour space beneath the decks, in simple terms when you come to print the Ink/Paper profile acts as a translator between this and the Printer/driver. I am suspecting (but not convinced) that the problem lies somewhere in that translation.

I know it is not easy, but is it possible for you to outline all the steps you take to achieving your print? Make it as full of detail as possible then one of us may be able to pin point something.

One thing to try...in the print module you can print to a JPEG (choose that instead of Print to Printer) output with the sRGB profile and let us know what that looks like.

I can always give you access to my DropBox and have a look at the file for you and try a print on my system here to see if I can locate a problem...
dcash29 Plus
12 2.2k England
6 Jan 2018 9:44AM

Quote:Nope, premature celebrations.

At least I know that the profile and printer is working correctly.

Will do some more research and trials to see what I can find out.

Best thing to do is email the file to Permajet explaining that their test image colour matched perfectly, your file was rubbish, WHY?
justin c Plus
14 4.9k 36 England
6 Jan 2018 1:34PM
The test image isn't one belonging to Permajet and the fact that it prints fine shows the issue lies elsewhere.
Without knowing why the print is unacceptable, it's impossible to say what the issue could be.
If the O.P. comes back with some more info we can troubleshoot from there.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.3k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2018 5:08PM
John you need to provide as much information as possible, files too if possible. Justin, Phil, Brian and co have a load of printing expertise, something you think unimportant may be critical.

Which version of the printer driver are you using? The XPS version works in 16 bpc instead of just 8 bpc which means smoother graduations. If you are seeing banding it's vital you try to use the 16 bit driver.

A couple of observations from my own short Pixma history are that from out-of-the-box using decent paper and basic settings you should get good prints. Then after calibrating and tweaking you should be getting outstanding prints. Using Permajet paper, even with generic settings, should still give you very acceptable results.

The settings can be a minefield and a box left unchecked somewhere can cause major problems.

Try to set the driver matching like I do in my video at around 40 seconds in.

250184_1515258483.jpg

Notice in the video that the Canon driver preview window is not representative of your final print when you are letting Lr or Ps manage the colours. It can look horrendous, notice the hat colour shift, but print will be fine.

6 Jan 2018 7:40PM
Thanks all, I was up most of the night with this until I ran out of one of the inks. I drove 40 miles today to get some from a shop who told me that they had it, and like everything else so far......they didn't. Being in the country I now have to wait for a delivery on Tuesday.
Between now and then, I will prepare a full report on every aspect of what I am doing/setting. I have already started and I have got to warn you it is very long as I am detailing everything.
I must say this is a fantastic response from you all in an effort to help me.

Thanks again
6 Jan 2018 9:11PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.