Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Tethered shooting with Tablet

Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
13 Apr 2012 8:30AM
Just in case people didn't see this in Cathy's thread (thanks KevSB and ChrisV for the reply), hoping someone knows differently:

I have 5D2 which has live view.
I am in the market for a table, maybe Ipad 3, maybe android tablet, I am not sure yet. I have some questions to ask.

So, assume outdoor use (no wifi connection, no other computer to connect to etc etc)

1. Can I do tethered shooting (photo displayed right after pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Ipad 3?
What would I need?
Can I do tethered shooting (photo displayed right after pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Android?
What would I need?

2. Can I do live view tethered shooting (display and control the camera before pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Ipad 3?
What would I need?
Can I do live view tethered shooting (display and control the camera before pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Android?
What would I need?

Cheers.
13 Apr 2012 8:32AM
According to Kev:

Quote:1. Can I do tethered shooting (photo displayed right after pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Ipad 3? NO
What would I need?
Can I do tethered shooting (photo displayed right after pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Android? Unknown
What would I need?

2. Can I do live view tethered shooting (display and control the camera before pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Ipad 3? NO
What would I need?
Can I do live view tethered shooting (display and control the camera before pressing shutter), wired and wireless, with Android? Unknown
What would I need?

According to Chris:

Quote: See this.

You'd apparently need to jailbreak the iPad if you wanted to connect without a wireless router - I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to things like that, but I'd always prefer to use my MBook Pro for tethering in any case. It doesn't appear there's a way of directly controlling/setting up your camera from the iPad in the way you can in EOS utility/Aperture or other pro tethering software.

GarethRobinson 14 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2012 1:53PM
Cole just use a laptop if you really must carry more gadgets around. Shooting raw is a slow process when wanting to view on any tablet.
Check out some of the mac books or new windows ultrabooks. More ram faster and of more use.
I think in another few years tablets will be the perfect field gadgets to have.
Gareth
13 Apr 2012 2:06PM
Thanks Gareth.
As I am probably going to get a tablet for travelling (online/watching movie/reading books etc etc) anyway, I am just trying to get 2 birds with 1 stone.
Chrism8 13 957 27 England
13 Apr 2012 4:06PM
I've been using a Motorola Xoom tablet for a few months now and link a Wi-Fi card ( connects directly with the tablet ) from the camera, I have found that by shooting Raw+jpeg and by minimising the jpeg file size ( 2mb ) they transfer in about 20 seconds, the raws tend to stay on the card.

Cheers

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.