Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Thai Tips

p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 8:07AM
Going to Thailand in Feb. Does anyone have some "must see" photographic spots in Bangkok and Chiang Mai? Already doing the touristy things (Floating Market/Grand Palace/Rice Barge etc in Bangkok and Elephants/Hill Tribe/What Phrathat in Chiang Mai)
Won't have much time but would appreciate any pointers.
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 11:54AM
Surely the whole point of going somewhere exotic is to discover things for yourself.
If you really want to rehash the pictures that everybody takes then simply go to the nearest postcard rack out of the airport and work from those.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
30 Nov 2004 12:22PM
hi
what a boring old fart aftertherain is ! try the flower market and the weekend market they are in bangkok get to the flower maket on the river taxi and the weekend maket on the sky train or the new underground train. if you want to get some new camera gear take a look at www.fotofile.net that is in bangkok got cheap gear there my self.
CB.
30 Nov 2004 12:23PM
Bit harsh Merlin, i think Paul just wants to make the most of his time and see what people have to say!

I was out in Thailand for a while this summer. To be honest Paul, aside from the obvious that you have stated its really about looking for those moments that you can't predict. Have a wander around in Bangkok (and more easily Chiang Mai) and see what you come across beyond the obvious touristy spots (though Bangkok is a challenging place to just wander).

Don't know how you're planning on getting about, but if you can then try to get away from the planes and stick to the trains, you get to see so much more particularly winding up through the hills to Chaing Mai.

If your not staying on Koh San Road in Bangkok then pay it a visit, its a great place from all perspectives including photography.

Get up on the roof of one of the hotels at night such as the D+D- you can get great views of the street scene below and see across to the grand palace all lit up. Also a cool place for candid street photography for all the stalls etc.

Apart from that enjoy, i certainly wish i was going again in feb.

Matt
freds 16 184 England
30 Nov 2004 12:27PM
(what a boring old fart aftertherain is)

Matches his Portfolio.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
30 Nov 2004 12:30PM
well said Fred could not have put it better my self.
CB.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
30 Nov 2004 12:33PM
well said Fred could not have put it better my self. his images look allright though !
CB.
stevewlb 15 6 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 1:03PM
There's a covered market in Chiang mai where they do kick-boxing while you eat- pretty interesting if a bit gruesome.
In Bangkok the river boat ferries which are used by ordinary people rather than tourists are very photogenic- often full of monks!
Steve
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 1:15PM
Apologies to Paul.

The rest of you he is a she!

Pot calling the kettle comes to mind Fred!
p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 2:29PM
Thank you for the replies.
Exactly Matt.
Unfortunately we only have a short stay so we won't have time to wander willy-nilly and I didn't want to waste valuable time hoping that perfect spot was just round the next corner!!
Now, if we had a few weeks that would be different.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.