GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Thank you

sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
23 May 2019 10:42AM
I had a pleasant surprise waiting for me when I got home yesterday. I received a x-rite colour passport checker 2 - a competition prize from last month that I hadn't realised I had been placed in.

Thanks to all at Epz for organising this, and well done to my fellow prize winners.

Adam

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tj Plus
16 2.1k England
23 May 2019 11:29AM
Congrats Smile
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
25 May 2019 10:49AM
Have you used one before?

I bought one a few years ago and calibrated all my cameras so each has a colour profile associated with its serial number automatically stored in the appropriate Adobe location. This means that Lightroom, Photoshop ACR will automatically select as the default profile. I found it was better to use the DNG Profile Editor which was free from Adobe Labs than using the Colour checkers own S/W. I recall at the time the main advantages were that the Adobe software was more precise and can also produce an Infra Red Profile.

As I am sure you know, apart from initial calibration of cameras, the Color Checker Passport (CCP)can be used when photographing to ensure accurate White Balance. I have mentioned before on this forum such accuracy is not always needed for club members like me entering competitions. Unless there is a serious colour mismatch, a judge will not know what the original color was. However, professional fashion and product photographers will probably need this accuracy. Personally, I carry the checker in my bag but only tend to get it out in a few situations (e.g. studio shoot with model) or for club demonstrations/training. I ask the model to hold the CCP for one frame and can use that to set the WB in LR. I repeat this if the lighting set up changes. Have fun!

Dave
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
25 May 2019 12:10PM
I gave calibrating my camera a try but could not detect, to my eye, any difference between the Colour Checker profile & Capture One's ICC profile.

I predominantly use it for using the white balance reference ( grey ) patch on the passport
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
25 May 2019 1:45PM
Interesting but LR and ACR now offer many profiles for each camera most of which are intended to be a style rather than neutral. Before the bespoke profiles, I had a choice from adobe of 5 profiles which were intended to be equivalent to the camera style had you selected it and used JPEG plus one more general Adobe profile. Initially, LR defaulted to Adobe standard and I later found out that Canon recommended Camera Standard as the best all round choice. The selections which appear in Adobe are specific for the Camera model; I am sure Capture One is the same but I do not use it. It would appear that in most situations you can get away with using one of these generic profiles but unfortunately the colour is not identical even between different cameras of the same model which is why LR and ACR automatically select a bespoke profile based on serial numbers. Please have a look at my website under Techniques and Colour Mangement where there are some examples.

A larges difference was with my Bridge Camera where the changes in using the bespoke profile are a lot more than subtle. However the biggest difference was using the IR which offsets the fact that LR ACR does not read WB figures below 2000k. This profile does not require the CCP but is correction profile to ensure IR can be managed better. A wedding photographer I used to know suggests that colour calibration is essential for him. He used to use two D700's with different lenses and could rapidly swap as you need to at a wedding. Before he calibrated both cameras, critical colours of clothing would be different for each camera which looks poor in an album. Once calibrated no difference was visible.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.