Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

The Alpha A200 - Recommended?

DonnaN 11 129 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2009 8:01PM
I currently have a bridge camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ8) and am looking to purchase my first DSLR with a rather limited budget of 250.

A number of cameras have been suggested to me and after hours of deliberation, reading and even trying a few, the A200 seems like a good option. My main interest is landscape really although increasingly protraits and this may well change as my skills develop. I had considered buying a second hand Nikon/Canon but having seen the A200 I'm thinking buying this new might be a good purchase. I'm just wondering if current users would recommend it?
philzee 11 2 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2009 8:27PM
I have had the A200 for about 4 weeks now, and I am totally loving it. Having had a fujifilm finepix beforehand this was a vast jump in both options and quality. And the price is well worth it.

The only thing I'd suggest is, if you are buying one, get it soon as the A200 is being replaced by the A230 which is more expensive (but has more features and is slightly smaller).
PeterBee 15 35 5 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2009 10:49PM
I use an A700 myself, but the A200 is excellent value at present and by all accounts a great camera - ideal for someone with a limited budget and making the step up to a DSLR. If you want to know more about the Sony system and range of cameras have a look at www.dyxum.com - you might find it helpful.
GreyMoonRising 12 1.5k 1
3 Sep 2009 9:43AM
Highly!
DonnaN 11 129 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2009 9:57AM
Thank you to you all for your replies. It's reasuring to hear that you're either pleased with it as your camera, or have heard good things about it! Thanks for the link PeterBee, I'm off to have a look at that now!
stu1974 11 3
9 Sep 2009 2:06AM
I bought a sony a200 on account of the good reviews and my limited budget, It's truly a good camera and the only thing that i find negative is that compared to canons/nikons there isn't quite as good a range of lenses and accessories to blow your money on.That said, it's no problem really...you can get pretty much everything you need easily enough and buying that camera has given me a real chance at taking some top notch photographs with my very limited ability! I can honestly say as well that if i do happen to progress then i think the sony will still do the job.....all the best
LenaLulu 11 2
9 Sep 2009 11:17PM
I have the A200 and the A350, both are fine cameras, I actually tend to use the A200 more than the A350.

Something to remember with the new Sony budget DSLR (A2xx, A3xx ranges) is that they no longer have compact flash slots.

Lena

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.