Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

The Annoying Versions

cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
15 Jun 2016 8:14AM
Seems to me that a number of members (I can name names!!) are struggling with the `new' versions....(most of all me!) So is it just one of those annoyting things that we have to live with or is there a tweak that will ease the stress!!! SmileSmile

1. When you load a version (or multiple version) the lead shot becomes what? The Lead, the Original, .... V1 ...... it just irritates the hell out of me

2. We loved the `scroll over' in the pre `new world'...Now you have to open each Version separately and the `original' if you want to compare the shots

Do you agree..or am I just an old Luddite?? GrinGrin

Signed by The `Save Our Versions' brigade
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2016 8:36AM
Hi Cats,

When you click a number to display a version, you will notice that the number turns blue. To swap back to the orignal, simply click that number again to return to the original. As you can see, this process can also be used to toggle between the original and the version easily and best of all, the functionality works on touch screen devices too.

Cheers,
David

SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
15 Jun 2016 8:45AM
I don't like the new versions and the way they're viewed now. I don't notice there are versions most of the time and have to go back to see them if I see someone comment on a version when they make a comment. Or, I just can't be bothered. It certainly stops me from bothering with uploading versions myself.

Before, when we could scroll over all the versions all in a line, we could make comparisons easily, and some people used to upload a small story, like a flip book, but we can't view that sort of multiple upload now. Now each version has to be opened individually.

It's clunky at a retrograde step.
cats_123 Plus
15 Jun 2016 9:04AM

Quote:Hi Cats,

When you click a number to display a version, you will notice that the number turns blue. To swap back to the orignal, simply click that number again to return to the original. As you can see, this process can also be used to toggle between the original and the version easily and best of all, the functionality works on touch screen devices too.

Cheers,
David

Thnaks, David...I understand that, but it just feels as though you have to go through too many hoops to make the comparisons...Chris' `Clunky' seems an appropriate term Sad
nonur 12 18 13 Turkey
15 Jun 2016 9:27AM
I thoroughly agree with Jeff (Cats_123).
bricurtis Plus
15 2.4k 51 England
15 Jun 2016 10:09AM

Quote:It's clunky at a retrograde step.

I'm with SlowSong on this. There used to be some superb sets of images uploaded where the ' mouse over ' added an extra dimension to viewing them. Sadly missed.Sad

Jasper87 Plus
11 2.6k 158 England
15 Jun 2016 10:22AM
Point 1 rang true with me. The main image used to be v1 then the versions were 2,3,4 etc. Now if you refer to v1 it's the first of the versions not the main image whereas a lot of people still view that as the main image and are apt to be confused, albeit momentarily - but unnecessarily.
danbrann 16 640 17
15 Jun 2016 10:38AM
I'm with all of the above...........Believe me when I say some of us older members do have trouble with the versions amongst other things. I certainly don't like the site as it is and it seems to take an age to see someones upload and then it takes ages to get to see the next persons work..
woolybill1 Plus
14 36 76 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2016 11:29AM

Quote:this process can also be used to toggle between the original and the version easily

But not fluidity: some members used to organise their versions so that one sweep of the mouse pointer would open all versions in turn without a break - this worked in reverse too - but now each Version requires a deliberate click.

Quote:best of all, the functionality works on touch screen devices too

So we're sacrificing the quality of the experience for speed and convenience?

Quote:it just feels as though you have to go through too many hoops to make the comparisons.

Agreed.
woolybill1 Plus
14 36 76 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2016 11:42AM
P.S.: I'm not against change for good reasons (and the site speed is fine on the whole); I just don't feel that the change to the Versions was unnecessary. It wasn't broke, after all.
woolybill1 Plus
14 36 76 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2016 4:07PM

Quote:don't feel that the change to the Versions was unnecessary

Sorry - meant to write "I don't feel that the change was necessary". Had I been communicating via mobile phone the mess would have been far worse Blush
dcash29 15 2.4k England
15 Jun 2016 5:48PM
I've had a look at the version section and wonder what it represents as some uploaded 'versions' display a completely different picture?
cats_123 Plus
15 Jun 2016 8:05PM

Quote:I've had a look at the version section and wonder what it represents as some uploaded 'versions' display a completely different picture?
I would imagine that the original intention was to allow different versions of the same shot but this has morphed into any number of 'variations' or series of shots. Whatever takes your fancy 😊
Martin54 Plus
15 546 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2016 7:33AM

Quote:I've had a look at the version section and wonder what it represents as some uploaded 'versions' display a completely different picture?

All is explained in the EPZ FAQ

Quote:How do I use the Version gallery?

1 Upload your edited photo as normal.

2 Go to the gallery and view your uploaded photo.

3 Underneath the photo you will see [Upload New Version] | [Edit] | [Delete]
Click on Upload New Version to begin uploading your first Version

4 Fill in the description for this version which will appear under it when you hover over its number in the gallery.

5 The Version type should be set to the type of photo you are uploading. These include four categories: Before and After, Tutorials, Reportage/Documentary and Variants.

Before & After is intended for photos with a before and after version and any developments in between. A before photo is one that's straight out of the camera with no external processing. If you want to show HDR please upload at least one original exposure so we can see what the conditions were like.

Tutorials should be used for a series of photos that describe or teach a technique or process of taking or modifying a photo. This option must include detailed captions that explain the process of each step of the tutorial. so viewers can have a go themselves.

Reportgage/Documentary is for a series of shots that are related (ie: Photo Journalism or images that are used in a montage)

Variants is used when trying out new lighting or editing techniques. Use this category as a sounding board (ie - three different compositions/crops and ask which is preferred.)

6 Repeat step 3-5 if you have more than one version (semi edited, different treatment etc) Up to 19 more can be added. Note that you will now see [Upload New Version] | [Manage Versions] | [Edit] | [Delete]

7 Now when you view the thumbnail of a photo in the gallery you will see an icon displayed under it to denote it's a Version shot. There are four Icons indicating the type of version Before & After (B), Tutorial (T) Reportage/Documentary (R) and Variants (V).

8 When you open a Version photo you'll see a number sequence (1 and 2 if you have only uploaded 2 shots) The displayed photo is number 1. Hover over the other numbers to change the display and compare. If you have several versions you can click on one of the other numbers to make that the displayed photo and hover over others to compare.

9 Click on Manage Versions below the photo if you want to edit the photo descriptions or display order or delete one. Each photo is managed individually. The thumbnail that displays in the gallery is always the photo that was uploaded first and should be the best/preferred shot.
Click to hide

But wait a minute, I think that explains how the old versions used to work - I don't recall seeing the 4 options in the new arrangement!
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
16 Jun 2016 7:43AM

Quote:But wait a minute, I think that explains how the old versions used to work - I don't recall seeing the 4 options in the new arrangement!

The different categories of 'Versions' were removed during the recent upgrade to the galleries. They were considered no longer relevant.

Updating the FAQs is on the 'to be done' list and they will be updated in due course so that the answers given there match the recent changes to various areas of the site.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.