Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

THE best anti virus software? suggestions please?

conniemayw 15 100 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2005 9:58AM
New camera forces me to connect precious new PC to internet. Was built to spec. so no anti virus. Would like to hear recommendations for the safest if you please.
regards
connie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell 18 2.2k 2 England
3 Apr 2005 10:05AM
AVG from grisoft.com, the freeware version is pretty good but the paid for version has a lot more to offer.

Barry
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
3 Apr 2005 10:06AM
If your like me and don't like spending a fortune, you could try AVAST its free, never failed to pick up a virus on my machines....And it runs in the background without slowing everything else down to a crawl. Certainly worth a look.

Ade
conniemayw 15 100 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2005 10:19AM
thanks both will check them out
regards
connie
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Apr 2005 10:55AM
Bang on Barry and MOST important - it doesn't 'hog' memory/resources like some of the 'big boys' (Norton/McAfee etc.) Be wary of 'AVAST'... although 'first' in the latest Which? magazine test - with AVG a very close second - I found 'Avast' to be a bit of a memory 'hog' too although it was good at its primary job...

AVG? - First class product.

Mike
SharonJ 15 61 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2005 11:00AM
I use Panda platinum anti virus. Hasnt failed me yet.
macroman 17 15.3k England
3 Apr 2005 1:36PM
AVG free, with almost daily updates (lately).
Zone Alarm is a good Firewall.
With Ad-Aware for checking out the nasties.
kinfatric 15 550 9 Scotland
3 Apr 2005 1:43PM
If your net provider is A.O.L then McAfee is free I think Tiscali do something similar too
loweswood 15 317 England
3 Apr 2005 3:27PM
Yes, Tiscali provides Norton either virus or full Internet security. Full is 3.50 a month but some of the faster broadband packages include it free.

check their homepage for package prices.

While you are thinking, AVG and Ad-aAware are free and invaluable!
DanSig 15 288 Iceland
4 Apr 2005 2:30AM
Mac Os-X is with out a doubt the best "anti virus" software available today, if you got OsX then youll never get any viruses Smile

but if you prefer windows, then its better to skip the antivirus and have a fast computer, just pe careful what sites you visit online, and have the firewall active in XP then youll be pretty safe.

Ive had windows/DOS based computers since 1987 and I have NEVER had a single virus, adaware, spyware or any other bogus and unwanted program in my computers, and Ive been online since 1995.

I just follow one simple rule, if a window pops up that I didnt ask for, then I close it without looking at it, and if something blinks an a webpage, I ignore it.

those are the main reason people get viruses/spyware/adaware/crap on their computers.

and ofcourse NEVER use programs like kazaa or anything like that Smile
plutoman 15 347
4 Apr 2005 2:53AM
Skip the antivirus for Windows based systems Dansig? First time I have heard that offered as a recommendation? Surely antivirus software and Firewalls are a must on all internet enabled pcs..

Craig
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2005 3:04AM
Having used Norton and AVG - I would recommend AVG it just Works!

As for the recomendation that you don't need one - don't believe it. I picked up a virus from one of the commonly used UK mapping sites - a very reputable site which was infected and then used an exploit in IE to infect PCs. If you are using IE - you need an anti virus and spyware protection.

Chris
mdpontin 15 6.0k Scotland
4 Apr 2005 3:10AM
Hmm...if I were using Windows I wouldn't take the risk of not having (a) a firewall locking down any ports I don't need, and (b) up-to-date antivirus software running. Especially true if using Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc. New critical flaws have been discovered only recently.

Doug
peterkin 16 648 England
4 Apr 2005 3:16AM
I use Norton, but AVG is good. Yes, you do need a firewall. I use Sygate Personal Firewall. It's free, download it from here... Sygate Sygate Firewall

It's served me well for over three years.
griffin 16 68
4 Apr 2005 5:08AM
While it is possible to survive without an anti-virus running in the background, although with vulnerabilities being found all the time a firewall of some sort is a must, for most of us who are sometimes curious and to be honest a little lazy to be as rigirous in keeping safe then i would heavily reccommend using both especially if you have a broadband always on connection. I have tried out many over the years and have settled on Avast anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall which are both free. Have had problems with Zone Alarm and AVG in the past.

Some other steps to take to always keep your windows up to date.
Use a safer web browser such as Firefox, which is far less prone to security breaches and is itself a far more superior browser to internet explorer.
Install and use lavasoft adaware.

Mac OsX is a reasonable suggestion i suppose but i am not sure it runs on the same hardware that windows runs and besides that is a rather heavey investment in software. I would reccommend for anyone brave enough to look at changing their operations system to have a go at linux. Ubunto would be my current reccomendation. When properly set up is rock solid and best of all free.

g

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.