Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

The best digital Camera to buy?

6 Dec 2005 6:06PM
Hi there I am looking to buy a new digital camera and I have been told that Kodak is the best make to buy a digital camera from - is that true?

Any tips as to which one to buy?
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2005 6:40PM
Here we go!! if you come on here asking questions like that you'd better prepare yourself to get very confused!! Wink

first you need to give us a few criteria ...
whats your budget?
what are you mainly going to use it for?
are you after a compact camera, or a digital slr or a prosumer?
whats most important to you, value for money, or high quality /features... etc, etc.

In order to answer your question we need to know these things because depending on your needs there could be up to a hundred different answers.

(but canon are better!!) .... Wink ... just watch the backlash to that! LOL
redhed17 15 881 England
6 Dec 2005 6:43PM
I'm sorry, but that question is like saying Ferrari is the best car to buy. If you're a single millionaire, who like fast cars, then yes. If you're a married man, going camping with the 3 kids, wife and dog, a Ferrari will not be that good.

Sorry to sound like a smart ar*e, but the best camera is dependant on what you want to take pictures of, what size you want the camera to be, what your digital imaging skills are, and most importantly, how much you want to spend. There are hundreds that span those criteria.

Choose your own criteria, and you can narrow down your choices.

By the way, I'm sure Kodak make some good cameras, but none immediately spring to mind. Wink
6 Dec 2005 6:46PM
I am not a professional photographer and I want a good digital camera to takes photos of my family and holidays and things like that!

I don't have a budget as such but nothing extravagantly expensive!

I don't want a compact but I have no idea what the other things are! (digital slr or a prosumer)

What else can I tell you?
phil beale 18 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2005 6:59PM
First of all welcome to ephotozine.

one of the current best selling cameras would be this Canon 350D

Does this look like what you might be after?

I guess as the others have said you need to narrow the field

1.price 600 to much or not?
2. do you want to shot film or digital.
3. Slr cameras mean you can change the lens on the front from a wide-angle to a telephoto zoom
4. Slr camera are more complicated when used correctly than a point and shot compact, aperture, shutter speed etc
5. is it for the whole family to use and would you worry them using an expensive camera.

Look at buying a magazine and see what they recommend and read the reviews. I would always say buy the best you can. Good and popular makes in slrs would be Canon and Nikon there are others but these are the 2 market leaders.

Keep asking questions and Im sure people help narrow down what you are after

phil
aussielass 16 6
6 Dec 2005 7:05PM
600 not too much. Digital definitely. Preferably would not have to think about lenses. Probably would only be for adult use.

Thanks
redhed17 15 881 England
6 Dec 2005 7:08PM
I'd also go here , and have a look at the different styles of camera, under the camera link in the menu, and see what size of camera you'd think would suit. There is also a glossary, to put some of the jargon used, into english. The more you learn, the more suited the camera you finally choose will be.

Also be aware, that when you choose a camera, factor in the cost of an extra memory card(or 2), and extra battery(s).
phil beale 18 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2005 7:17PM
aleenasnuts aussielass are you one in the same person or also interested in buying a camera.

Phil
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 3:19AM
ok, well it sounds like you want a general all rounder. for between 400 and 600 pounds you have got a wide choice, you could go for these options:
1. DSLR - this in effect is what you'd call a 'proper camera' - it looks more professional than smaller compact cameras, they tend to give the best quality photos if you use good lenses, and you can also change your lenses if you want more zoom or wider angles. - the downside is, these can be expensive in the long run as you tend to start buying accessories like flash guns, lenses, tripods etc, but it's the way that most people go once they get hooked on taking photos. (either the canon 350D or the nikon D50 would be good cameras at the top end of your budget)

2. Prosumer - these are normally very good quality cameras that just have a built in lens and flash instead of one that you can take off and change.... they are great for people who are serious about wanting to take up photography, but are wary about taking on a camera thats too complicated like an SLR. they tend to fit into the 400 - 600 price range too. canon, nikon, olympus, fuji, pentax all have good cameras in this part of the market so you can't really go wrong.

3. Compact - These are your basic, small, point and shoot cameras. Great for beginners or when you need something that fits in your pocket, although their functions can be limited, so before you go for one of these, try and decide if you might get more into photography later, cos you'll only end up paying more in the long run to upgrade when you get frustrated with it's lack of manual features and controls. (also, using the flash with compact cameras normally produces 'red eye' in your photos)

many people on this site can give you good advice, but first I suggest you have a chat with your family and try and decide what type you want first, cos theres alot of choice out there!
chrissd 15 304 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 9:15AM
hi
i have a canon 350D which is the lower end of the digital market as far as the pros go but higher end of the market as the "family Photographer goes" if you put it into full auto mode it will take most piccys on a reasonable level, if you think you want to dig deeper into things then you can switch it over to manual and dive into the "interesting world" that all seasoned photographers go into, and that is another subject, hope this helps
chris
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 9:35AM
A 350D is not intended to be, or marketed as a pro camera. It is the entry level dSLR from Canon.

If you want a good family photography'holidays camera then I suggest you steer clear of the dSLR cameras, as they are probably too bulky with a collection of lenses etc, and look to the mid range cameras. If you want to go on and learn about photography then get a dSLR. But remember, they cost more and if you want the improved optics they can offer you will need a range of lenses. Super zooms are not the way to quality.

Now a days about 5mp is a good pick. For compact(Or prosumers which are just lest compact compacts) cameras more than this does not often give good results, and if you are thinking of 6x4 prints and up to 10x8, then I think you will find that 5mp is as good as you need. Many 8mp sensors produce more noise than thr 5mp ones and there is the question about whether the matching lens is up to that level of resolution.

Next think zoom range. A zoom equivalent of about 28mm is good for getting in photo's of buildings etc, 50 to 100 for family members. I find for this sort of photography, a zoom range of about 28mm to about 150mm is great.

The resulting image quality will be a factor of the sensor and the lens. The more pixels, the better it will be at showing up lens compromises.

Oh and I advise to keep to the top brands of Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, and Panasonic.

I hope that is of some help. It is of course opinion and so may not be the same view as many.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
7 Dec 2005 9:44AM
I would second strawmans advice.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
8 Dec 2005 2:38AM

Quote:I have been told that Kodak is the best make to buy a digital camera from - is that true?

Just keeping it very short: NO !!

Wink
donster 18 50 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2005 3:01AM
Hi

I have recently bought a digital camera. I wanted all of the manual controls I like using with my SLR but a) not the expense and b) not the bulk of a dSLR.

After much shopping around and reading a huge number of different reviews I settled upon the new Olympus SP500 which has 6 mega-pixels, the option of full manual as well as full automatic control and a 10x optical zoom.

So far, I am very impressed with it and I think it is a nice happy medium between compact and dSLR.

Cheers
Don
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2005 3:35AM
I think the last time Kodak had a major impact on the camera industry it was with the Instamatik in the 60s. Since then they have been pretty much playing keep up with the others and not really succeeding.

If you want a compact camera there are a couple of Kodak EasyShare models which get not bad reviews, but there are others which are better. If you decide on a fixed lens camera, manufacturers like Nikon, Fuji and Konica Minolta are way ahead and similarly with the SLR ranges. It is the same story with film cameras.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.