Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

The Best Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras Available Today... Really?

Colin Smale 18 525 England
24 Nov 2021 12:18PM
I find it strange, suspicious even that Olympus are not included! Many of world's top wildlife photographers including our own Andy Rouse have gone over to Olympus or am I missing something?
MrDennis Plus
12 293 Wales
24 Nov 2021 12:34PM
Colin Smale--You are not the only one to say this. I own an Olympus EM1 Mk2 (2 of them) + a lot of lenses. Sold all my Canon Full Frame + lenses to go Olympus. I Love mine despite the too many settings it has. I sometimes Wonder if Canon/Nikon pays the Magazines to mention them. When it comes to picture taking it is down to the photographer and many of them using Olympus are better than lots using Canikon.I would love to know if any Oly users send their images to the Magazines. ? Lets Hope OM Systems take us into a new era.
themak 8 1.0k Scotland
24 Nov 2021 1:29PM
I think they're not included because they don't make full-frame mirrorless cameras.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
24 Nov 2021 1:45PM

Quote:I find it strange, suspicious even that Olympus are not included!

The clue is in the term "full frame". Tongue

Olympus is the only major camera manufacturer that does not make full-frame or medium format cameras in addition to its smaller offerings. It has decided to stick with MFT (only) which, these days, is the smallest sensor available with interchangeable lenses so it has become a sort of niche market. Even its main MFT competitor, Panasonic, now makes full-frame.

MrDennis Plus
12 293 Wales
24 Nov 2021 2:16PM
I had Full Frame--Canon 5D3 and sold it all for Oly. Best thing I ever did. Can still Print bigger than A3 if I want and Crop n print. Put side by side a FF you'll not know which camera they came from.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
24 Nov 2021 4:18PM
I've had MFT (Olympus and Panasonic), full-frame (Canon) but decided to stick with the middle of the road in sensor/lens terms: APS-C.

I didn't need the weight etc of full-frame equipment but I found heavy cropping - in particular - showed up limitations of MFT. Otherwise I would probably still have my Olympus gear.... I loved it. Smile
pablophotographer 10 1.9k 413
24 Nov 2021 4:25PM
I have a problem with names even so for Japanese ones. I remember an Olympus ambassador from the first decade of the 21rst century, back then they made Four Thirds cameras only. E-450 was their basic amateur camera. E-1 was their flagship if I recall correctly. Well this Japanese professional photographer had just shot some advertising material (women in shark costumes in pool) that was printed in outdoor posters!!! That says a lot about the image quality from Zuiko glass and Olympus cameras..
Colin Smale 18 525 England
24 Nov 2021 4:57PM
FULL FRAME!!!...........Head slapBlush
GwB Plus
1 78 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2021 8:34AM
I use Olympus omd Em1 MK1 & 2 and still have an em10, the only limiting factor is me, I predominantly shoot birds and in low light I struggle, but then again I had the the same problem with a canon 7d, for me Olympus camera's are so tactile, the Em1 fitted with pany 100-400 ,plus small tripod fits in to a small bag plus a Fugi 1.5 crop with a wide prime for scenic shots, so I have no problem cycling to locations. I wouldn't be able to do this with full frame as to get the same reach the lens would be more than I could comfortably carry, I was sharing a hide with a guy with kit that was huge, the weather was crap and we both were struggling to get a decent shot. I do put up a fair few pictures on this site.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.8k 13 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2021 10:20AM

Quote:I use Olympus omd Em1 MK1 & 2 and still have an em10, the only limiting factor is me, I predominantly shoot birds and in low light I struggle, but then again I had the the same problem with a canon 7d

I've an EM5iii and a friend one of the new FF Canon R series, something like 4 times the cost.
But he's a birder and loves it. Apparently the AF is capable of picking a birds eye and holding if you can keep it in frame.

I find the 5iii pretty good in low light. The 20MP sensor and DxO noise reduction is very good for my needs.

But as thread title... Olympus is never going to be best in a Full Frame assessment.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.