Cyber Monday 2020 Deals For Photographers

The best of both worlds

GeoffP 15 130 Portugal
8 Nov 2006 10:41PM
I wonder how much my enjoyment of the magical moment is affected by the quest to get that elusive shot. I generally find that the most productive time is usually around the narrow windows of opportunity when the light is at its best the first and last hour of the day.

Often though I think to myself how I wish I could just sit back, relax and enjoy the moment. Too often there is a mad scramble to compose a frame, fiddle with the tripod, make exposure and find the right filter/s for the job. I guess at least I can enjoy viewing the shot in the aftermath.

Do you have any strategies to get the best of both worlds?
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
8 Nov 2006 10:50PM
Yep. I just take my time. Then when the time's right, what I try and interpret is my own feelings about what I'm seeing. Just my 2p worth.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
8 Nov 2006 10:52PM
Many of my landscapes and places (mostly places) are taken in the last hour of light. I particularly like the long shadows and the weak but warm in colour light.

The first hour of light is too early for me - I am a late to bed and late to rise person.

However, I have no problems struggling with equipment. Many of my pics in the above category have been taken on a compact digicam which goes everywhere with me.

Otherwise a SLR or DSLR. Tripod? Rarely use one.

The cameras I would use on a tripod are the ones I have left at home!

jas
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
8 Nov 2006 11:58PM
it's a bit like fishing -you have to enjoy the fishing as well as the catching fish. So all those times spent "chasing light" in the outdoors for the elusive shot that never came, would be worth nothing if it weren't for the fact that you were out there and enjoying being there in the first place...
Stephen
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
9 Nov 2006 12:13AM

Quote:It's a bit like fishing

Yeah! and the one that 'got away'!!!
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
9 Nov 2006 12:15AM
sorry duplicate post must be ovaltine time Smile
Nike55 14 966 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2006 1:18PM
Depends on your confidence (or skill level) and luck.

If you have made the right equipment selection, get to the location way ahead of time, know the technique you are going to use and the subject and light is doing what you expect it to do, then there is a moment of satisfaction when, as you trip the release, you can breathe it all in and enjoy the moment.

But as you say, it's usually a case of scrambling to the location, thinking you may have forgotten something important (which then lurks at the back of your mind throughout the event). Then you have to work around a problem you didn't forsee (but know that's the reason you carry the gaffer tape and spare fuse wire with you). You then find yourself grappling with a new technique which isn't happening for you. You then have to move location because someone has just parked their ass/car/child in the way and you are in the last moments of the golden hour.

Stressed and breathless you trip the shutter at the last possible moment.

The final image may well be the same in each case but people will never know what goes into capturing an image.

I've done it both ways; found myself in a great location, set the exposure as I raised the camera to my eye, focused, composed, "click" - exactly the image I wanted.

Other times I've struggled to make something out of nothing, changed camera position, waited hours for the "right" light, can't "see" the composition, can't decide on filtration - try every technique and end up frustrated, angry and depressed with a cf card full of rubbish. Come home, switch on EPZ in solace to check the galleries, to find someone has taken the perfect image of my scene. When asked how they did it, they say:-

"Just walked up, set the exposure as I raised the camera to my eye, focused, composed, "click" - exactly the image I wanted"

Sorry this is sooo long.
peter shilton 16 1.1k England
9 Nov 2006 2:45PM
Last sunday I had been taking some shots of an enduro event.

As I was packing up there was the most beautiful sky / sunset, glorious in pinks, blues and oranges, with wispy clouds.

I couldn't have started to capture its beauty in a camera, so I didn't.

I had already put my camera away and it was dirty. It would've meant changing lens to my 10-22, I didn't have my tripod, and I was knackered.

I wish I had now, though. If the image came out as well as my memory of it then it would've been an EC at minimum.
Nike55 14 966 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2006 3:36PM
We've had some excellent weather in the south east for the last week or so. Thought I'd take the oportunity to go to Richmond Park yesterday with the full kit to see if I could capture a few autumnal colours. Worst weather for the whole week very o/cast and it rained, have a cf card full of rubbish. But today it's perfectly fabulous again - now I'm too depressed to bother to go out.

The strategy must be to acquire luck in large doses or lots of money so you can drop everything at anytime and go play!
PatrickSmith 15 1.2k 2 United States
11 Nov 2006 6:16AM
I find that if I get there early enough, I can enjoy the moment because I'm ready for it. If I'm in the middle of waves, that is another issue...

Patrick
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
11 Nov 2006 11:23AM

Quote:thinking you may have forgotten something important

Yeah! Usually any one thing from: the hat I like to wear, my drinking flask, my mobile phone and on one occasion my walking boots which I put on top of the car whilst I loaded the other gear into the car.

Drove off and never saw them again, although I did recover the 2nd pair of socks that I had stuffed into each boot.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.