PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

The digital chip for your 35mm camera

tom hardwick 19 11
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
To read up on the clever idea that a slot-in chip will convert your 35mm camera (SLR of compact) into a fully fledged digital camera, look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0105/01050703siliconfilmships.asp

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

craigdonnelly 19 260 England
I've been following the development of this product for around 3years or so.
Whilst it is a great idea, what they arent really telling anyone is that the chip is only 1.3 megapixells and it is not the full frame size as 35mm. Amatuer Photographer ran a review of it a few weeks ago - I'll try and dig the article out.
Another negative point is that it is only going to be made in a very limited few versions. I'm a CANON EOS user but they will only make it to fit the EOS1 and the EOS5, neither of which I have. Only if they sell enough and the idea takes off will they make it for other models.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
And this will cost what ? 500-600 quid ?
When you can get a true digital SLR with all the added functionality this gives you (plus up to 1Gb storage) for less than 2000 ?
My advice is wait a year or so and get the true digital SLR for 600 quid.
The idea would have been great, but as another comment says, why pay a lot of money when a similarly priced true digital camera such as a Finepix 4900 does a first class job. I would love a Canon D30, but just cannot justify the cash.

Paul Broadbent
flaggy 13 4 1
12 Sep 2006 12:54PM
I this being developed by the same team that put a fireblade engine in a fiat 500?

It's been summed up here really. What's the point? Maybe a few years ago when Digital SLRs hadn't reached affordable levels.
imagegrill 14 429
12 Sep 2006 1:57PM
I brought an EOS 5 of eBay last year for under 70 so getting a camera to fit it in isn't going to break the bank, but I see it as pointless fitting a 1.3 mega pixel crop cam into it. Better of buying a decent scanner and putting the slide/ negative through it if you want digital prints!

Or as has been said, get a DSLR!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.