Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

the easiest ways of taken panaromic pictures

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 2:27PM
i wonder if anyone can share techniques required to take some panaromic shots. From what i have been lead to believe you need expensive software.
Surely there are other techniques, as photography has been around longer than pc's.

If been hit with the bug as i have a phone with a camera (sony satio) and it makes it easy to do a panaromic photo and has given me the bug, naturally the phone doesn't take to the quality of an DSLR.

Thanks for any advice

Dan
ensign 13 224 1 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 2:49PM
Hi Dan
I am no great expert in the area. I tend to shot several shot with a good overlap on each. Then I use Photoshop Elements 7 and the creat panorama setting, I find this works quite well as in my Lofoten Islands and Stripes. There are other ways and I sure other memebres will join in and share ideas.

Good luck.
Bernard
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 2:49PM
What software do you have?

Not a cheap option by any measure but I used the photo merge option in Photoshop for a recent pano rather than anything specific so what you already have may contain an option to do it.

As for technique, I shot 8 photos on manual with the white blanace set (to avoid exposure differences), handheld with at least a 30-50% overlap. You could take more care and use a levelled tripod if you want or the conditions require it.

Only problem for me was it took around an hour for my computer to stitch the 8 x 18mp images together.

After that cropped the uneven edges off and processed as normal.

Neil
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
25 Aug 2010 2:55PM
To do the job properly you might use a tripod with a special panoramic head and then the software makes the stitching of a panorama seamless.

The most basic way is to do what we did before digital and take a series of pics in a row and them stick them together. They used to overlap, have different colour and exposure values, but worked and the result was called a joiner.

You can use layers and gradient masks in Photoshop to make the job more seamless and take the photos by just standing at a point and rotating the body as you shoot a sequence of images each with an overlapping viewpoint.

Some useful material on our site Panoramic Search
Click the link above and then click the techniques link in the left side blue panel
SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 2:57PM
hi Neil, like bernard above i have photoshop 7. I had tried overlaping the layers before but i didn't find it was a perfect enough of a match but that could be because i only allowed the minimum amount of picture to overlap

Dan
Metalhead 13 1.9k 2 England
25 Aug 2010 3:57PM
There's several pieces of free stitching software out there. Have a Google for Autostitch and Hugin. I haven't used them for a while, but Hugin can use Tiff files while Autostitch can use Jpegs. Hugin offers alot more in the way of intervention from the user to create a good stitched image.

For technique, when pushed, I have done a few simple handheld shots with my old trusty point n shoot, but if you can get a tripod (with or without a special panoramic head) it helps a lot.

I overlap my shots by about 50% each time, keep all the settings the same (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, white balance, focus)

There's three examples on the first page of my portfolio here. They may be small on EPZ, but they look great full size, especially the sunset pic. I think these were all handheld with Autostitch as the software.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.