Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Claim 10% off PortraitPro with code TQ1434 now!

The Film Camera Debate

StrayCat Plus
13 18.2k 3 Canada
19 Oct 2014 9:28PM
For those who wish to discuss Film, and film cameras.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho 15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2014 12:29AM
I'm debating.
20 Oct 2014 12:49AM

Quote:I'm debating.

DISPUTATIO ERGO SUM

Grin
Carabosse Plus
14 40.6k 269 England
20 Oct 2014 1:11AM
My first ever really good film camera. Would I use one now? It's highly debatable! Grin

canon-a-1.jpg

rhol2 6 369 1 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2014 10:27AM

Quote:My first ever really good film camera. Would I use one now? It's highly debatable! Grin

My favourite too, an absolute classic..I loved its innovative PSAM modes , I believe it was the first SLR to feature them.
Very different to my first "Proper" camera, a Zenith B , with it's manual stopping down ring.
pentaxpete 12 624 1 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2014 7:08PM
What I hate now is suffering the 'looks and funny smile' of the Digital Brigade at my Club when I mention 'Film Cameras' -- their faces almost as if I had done a 'Smelly' -- but there are Thousands of Film Camera users on Flickr and so many 'film user Groups' to join -- I'm in a lot !
ikky 2 88 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2014 4:38PM
There is a lot to be said for the occasional use of a film camera.
Most importantly it makes you engage the brain before the shutter release finger.
You spend more time composing the picture in your mind due to the cost of film and developing.
I bet there are not many "pros" that have only ever used digital
Paul Morgan 15 18.7k 6 England
24 Oct 2014 5:10PM

Quote:There is a lot to be said for the occasional use of a film camera.
Most importantly it makes you engage the brain before the shutter release finger.
You spend more time composing the picture in your mind due to the cost of film and developing.
I bet there are not many "pros" that have only ever used digital

A lot of us hear came from film camera`s and shoot digital in the very same way.
Snapper Plus
12 4.2k 3 United States Outlying Islands
24 Oct 2014 7:20PM
Film is a lot cheaper than buying a new Leica M Edition 60 which is a digital camera with no screen on the back. This way you can shoot digi and pretend it's film because you can't see the results! Tongue Who thinks these things up?
collywobles 13 3.9k 10 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2014 9:00AM
............................................ this has jogged me into buying a couple of rolls of film for my EOS 3..................... When I did use it before buying my two 20D's I had the films developed and put onto CD so having the best of both worlds...... Smile
ckristoff 12 974 Wales
26 Oct 2014 6:39PM
I've got a roll of film currently in my Eos 3, but I haven't finished using it yet!

Indeed, all my Canon 'L' lenses were bought, while I was using the Eos 3.

Frank.
kodachrome 5 645
9 Nov 2014 8:43AM
I still get a buzz out of using film on a days walk about. With just 36 pics per roll it makes you far more picky and careful with subjects and getting the settings right. I use two Minolta 35-mm SLR's, a X500 and XD-7, and a variety of Rokkor lenses including a rare 50.mm F/1.2. I get my slides processed at Peak Imaging and still get a kick out of projecting them on to a screen. I also had a Canon AE-1 Program, in the late 70's. Lovely camera. Although I mainly shoot digital, film still has a place in my hobby.
21 Dec 2014 5:23PM
I have a collection of Olympus OM series cameras here from OM1n thru to OM4 via OM10,20,30.40, OM2n, OM2sp. All get used at some stage throughout the year. Most recent is the OM4 that cost me 5, stuck batteries in it and away it went. To a certain extent I use film more than digital.

Pete
Andysnapper 8 109 25 England
23 Dec 2014 11:50AM
I also use film more than digital. I love digital, it is convenient and reliable, the cameras are now extremely capable and I have produced a good number of images I'm really pleased with... However, I do not get the same satisfaction from using my digital gear as I do from shooting film. This has nothing to do with which is best but just the actual act of using the equipment and the fun that I get from taking and devloping film images.
I currently own 3 medium format and 3 35mm film cameras as well as a Nikon D7100 a Fuji X-T1 and a Samsung EX-1 and they are all wonderful to use but, for me, film wins.

Andy
Paul Morgan 15 18.7k 6 England
23 Dec 2014 5:56PM
I very rarely use film these days, occasionally I might pop a roll in my 35SP rangefinder.

Today I happened to be just browsing my local charity shop and stumbled upon a leather camera bag that I quite liked priced at a tenner.

When I picked it up I realized it must have contained a fair few bits and pieces, it was quite heavy.

Any way I bought the lot, and they also through in a zoom lens at no extra cost, I have no interest in the film camera but the lenses may come in handy, I shoot video using old legacy lenses.

I ended up coming away with a 28mm, 50mm, 135mm and an 80--200mm plus a Praktica B200.

The whole lot must have been very well looked after, all the stuff looked almost mint.

599_1419357240.jpg

599_1419357279.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.