The Gower Peninsula

4 Apr 2015 11:47AM
Hi, we are thinking about a weeks holiday on the Gower Peninsula later this year. Sometime after the summer rush is over, as we don't like crowds. We know it's an area of outstanding natural beauty and as such is on our bucket list. But other than that we really don't know much about it so any insider knowledge would be greatfully appreciated.

For a start we don't know where to look for our base. Which would be a Holliday cottage as we like the freedom that gives.

Secondly, we'd like to draw up a list of must see/photograph locations. So what would people suggest should be on it?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Jude

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2015 7:53PM
Have stayed in Redcliffe Apartments (Caswell Bay) a few times All self-catering with wonderful views of the bay. Also, east access to coastal path walks to either Langland and Mumbles from across the bay, or to Brandy Cove, Pwll Du (very pretty) from the steps access next to the apartments.
Worms Head is a nice place to visit. Check the tide times and you will be able to walk across the causeway. Get there to catch the tide going out. Lovely rock pools to photograph - take your polariser. It can get a bit breezy.
If you walk out toward the sea the rocks are bigger, and you get different view points - lots of 'foreground interest'.
If you go to the top of the 'Worm' be prepared to be huffing and puffing when you get to the top.
A walk along Rhossilli Beach is also nice but again, it's okay going down, a bit of a hike coming back up.
Of course if you are up for it you can hike up to the top of the hill to where the paragliders launch off. (I've not done that).
3 Cliffs Bay and Pennard Castle. You have to pick and choose your route to get there as there's no parking. Suggest park at Parkmill and walk through the valley following the river/stream that takes you to the bay, OR park in Linkside Drive, walk across the common, past the water tower (can't miss it - and you know your'e going in the right direction), part of the golf course to the castle ruins for the view down, and carry on from there. The sea can be quite warm here.
Check Google Maps so you have an idea of where you are.
Don't bother with Broughton - it's a drive to get there and the wind just blows and blows. I wondered why the beach was empty when we got there. After 5 minutes I knew why.
Pub meal and a good drink? The Valley - Bishopston Road, King Arthur - Reynoldston (The Gower Inn at Parkmill gets too busy - with tourists)
Curry? Mumbai - Mill Lane off Mumbles Road
4 Apr 2015 8:33PM
WoW ~ thanks so much for that, you should write a travel guide!

I'll get right on and check out those apartments ~ they sound fabulous! I'll also be sure to make note of all the great locations, eateries etc.

Once again thank you for all of this Grin

Jude
jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2015 9:03PM
I have a sister in the area (Pennard) so we know the area quite well from visiting.
Try Home From Home - they seem to be the agents for several of the Redcliff Apartments, and they also have several cottages on their books if you want something else.
4 Apr 2015 10:43PM
Thank you once again ~ I will take a look at what other accommodation is on offer.

Smile Smile Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.