Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

The Happy Forum

altitude50 16 20.5k United Kingdom
23 Oct 2020 4:44PM
21670_1603467640.jpg

Just bought this Miranda Sensomat RS 35mm SLR being sold as for spares or repairs. It is like new, everything works, no chips or wear, lens and viewfinder clean. The camera is fairly rare, only about 2,000 made.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
1 Nov 2020 7:16PM
Because of overwhelming opposition from the local residents, all the totally dangerous and unnecessary planters blocking our side roads have been removed. Unfortunately this has been yet another total waste of money, but at least the council has seen sense and the traffic runs more smoothy again.
strawman 16 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2020 10:01PM

Quote:Because of overwhelming opposition from the local residents, all the totally dangerous and unnecessary planters blocking our side roads have been removed.

What a shame when side roads that were made lower pollution and safer places for humans are given over to the scourge of cars again, poor people.
Sad
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
1 Nov 2020 10:09PM

Quote:
Quote:Because of overwhelming opposition from the local residents, all the totally dangerous and unnecessary planters blocking our side roads have been removed.

What a shame when side roads that were made lower pollution and safer places for humans are given over to the scourge of cars again, poor people.
Sad

They actually made things worse as very little traffic actually used the side roads. And then only for about an hour each end of the day. The build up of traffic on the surrounding roads was dangerous as emergency services had to make huge detours to get through to various accidents etc. And they also had input into the call for removing the blockages.

It was mostly the residents of the side roads that objected to the restrictions.

The council was given a chunk of money by the london mayor to build these blockages, which could have been used for much more useful community projects.
1 Nov 2020 10:20PM
If little traffic use the side roads then the build up of traffic on the main roads would not have been serious. Is the issue not too much traffic and the need to reduce that? Also they should make the roads so emergency services have priority. Why not use modern technology like Video cameras to make the lanes no entry to ordinary traffic and put heavy fines on motorists who use the side lanes and let emergency vehicles through. Then you could have the best of both worlds.

It is sad when good environmental improvements get quashed by selfish motorists. London needs to do something about its pollution and the damage it causes. London air quality improved during COVID, it should not go back to how it was.

While it is far too early to tell if the new emergency schemes have encouraged active travel or just displaced traffic elsewhere, there is a growing body of evidence from the UK’s first low-traffic neighbourhood in Waltham Forest. Modelling by King’s College London suggests the east London borough’s ground-breaking mini-Holland scheme, which started life in 2014, has boosted life expectancy and air quality, without pushing up pollution on main roads.

New research into the transport habits of hundreds of Waltham Forest residents by the University of Westminster reveals car ownership fell inside the schemes while walking and cycling markedly increased within one year.

“We found that people in ‘high dose areas’ [of traffic interventions], including low-traffic neighbourhoods, were doing 40 to 45 minutes walking or cycling a week more than people in the control group,” says Professor Rachel Aldred, who co-authored the study, which was published last week.

Monitoring by the council shows there has been an overall fall in motor traffic across the entire borough – although there were small rises on the surrounding border roads. “The evidence shows there’s likely to be a mix of traffic displacement and ‘evaporation’ – ie some people will make journeys in other ways if driving becomes a bit more difficult,” says Aldred. “You wouldn’t expect 100% of people to stop driving but given current trends, without measures to discourage driving we will see much more traffic on all the roads.”
1 Nov 2020 10:39PM
Have fun enjoy life and I hope all enjoy good health despite this lockdown.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
1 Nov 2020 10:52PM

Quote:If little traffic use the side roads then the build up of traffic on the main roads would not have been serious. Is the issue not too much traffic and the need to reduce that? Also they should make the roads so emergency services have priority. Why not use modern technology like Video cameras to make the lanes no entry to ordinary traffic and put heavy fines on motorists who use the side lanes and let emergency vehicles through. Then you could have the best of both worlds.

It is sad when good environmental improvements get quashed by selfish motorists. London needs to do something about its pollution and the damage it causes. London air quality improved during COVID, it should not go back to how it was.

While it is far too early to tell if the new emergency schemes have encouraged active travel or just displaced traffic elsewhere, there is a growing body of evidence from the UK’s first low-traffic neighbourhood in Waltham Forest. Modelling by King’s College London suggests the east London borough’s ground-breaking mini-Holland scheme, which started life in 2014, has boosted life expectancy and air quality, without pushing up pollution on main roads.

New research into the transport habits of hundreds of Waltham Forest residents by the University of Westminster reveals car ownership fell inside the schemes while walking and cycling markedly increased within one year.

“We found that people in ‘high dose areas’ [of traffic interventions], including low-traffic neighbourhoods, were doing 40 to 45 minutes walking or cycling a week more than people in the control group,” says Professor Rachel Aldred, who co-authored the study, which was published last week.

Monitoring by the council shows there has been an overall fall in motor traffic across the entire borough – although there were small rises on the surrounding border roads. “The evidence shows there’s likely to be a mix of traffic displacement and ‘evaporation’ – ie some people will make journeys in other ways if driving becomes a bit more difficult,” says Aldred. “You wouldn’t expect 100% of people to stop driving but given current trends, without measures to discourage driving we will see much more traffic on all the roads.”

Do you know my area? If not, I can't consider your comments to be worth bothering about.
1 Nov 2020 11:56PM
I wish the residents of London improved quality of life and the reduced noise and air pollution that reducing road traffic brings, Sorry if that upsets you. Like many cities London has to change and the message has to be that people are prioritised over cars.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2289 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2020 8:38AM
A lovely lady has been coming to the house to cut our hair for around 25 years. We had booked her for Thursday afternoon...
She phone last night to rearrange for Wednesday, so at least it won't be another case of lockdown hair. Grin
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
2 Nov 2020 8:59AM

Quote: wish the residents of London improved quality of life and the reduced noise and air pollution that reducing road traffic brings, Sorry if that upsets you. Like many cities London has to change and the message has to be that people are prioritised over cars.

Well I wish that parents would walk their children to school and stop using huge gas guzzlers and 4x4s in urban areas. It's remarkable how much difference it makes during school holidays when you can sail through the roads with hardly any hold-ups. Now that would be a great improvement, not blocking off streets thereby causing even more pollution.

Anyway, still happy. Smile
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
2 Nov 2020 9:06AM

Quote:you can sail through the roads with hardly any hold-ups
So, the roads are now flooded Sad
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
7 Nov 2020 12:39PM
I had a bath this morning. First one this year. And I can still smell the Radox wafting around me. Smile
9 Nov 2020 12:37PM
News on a vaccine this morning is welcome good news Smile
KarenFB Plus
14 5.5k 179 England
10 Nov 2020 11:16AM
Just got back online..........the 'net went down Sunday afternoon and I was told the SNR had been set too low (totally foreign language! SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio). After a lot of faffing about on my part and them not quite understanding that sending me an email with instructions on how to fix it wouldn't work (...........I couldn't actually open my emails!), we've managed to get it up and running again! (touch wood).

KarenFB Plus
14 5.5k 179 England
10 Nov 2020 11:17AM

Quote:I had a bath this morning. First one this year. And I can still smell the Radox wafting around me. Smile

Chris, as you can see, we were all totally speechless! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.