Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

The new iMac looks mighty fine!!!

GarethRobinson 12 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 9:45AM
You need to use a 64 bit version of windows then all ram is there for using, as you found out. In this day an age most people using computers for photography work know this. If you add in a proper supported gfx card for cs6 the increase in performance can be up to 50% when using certain features.

Basically any new pc these days that comes with 6gb and above of ram which is more common now than ever has a version of 64bit pre installed.

Quote:Well 8gb will run photoshop just nice, but try opening say a d800 raw and start working with a couple of layers, bang time to start writing to the scratch disk which is slow. So if you work with large files 16gb is where you want to start and have spare memory slots for a few years down the road. Depends what your using it for really like any other computer it dosent matter if its mac or pc they are the same thing just running a different operating system.

Perhaps I've got this all wrong, but on a pc using W7 home premium you're limited to 16gb total functionality on 64bit (ultra etc different) for W7 system, and certain photo editing software only uses 2gb ram, so its more the processor and ram operating speed/frequency which will determine editing performance. I realised this when 32gb ram on my machine just ain't being used.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
8 Nov 2012 8:53AM
Perhaps you will soon be able to get a free new car thrown in when you buy an iMAC ! !

A lot of people claim that the iMACs are expensive so this would be a good deal Wink

Where the money comes for the insurance premium could be a bit tricky though Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.