The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

The Police and the law on photography in the UK

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
5 Jan 2020 10:18PM

Quote:I was jesting, you havenít had to carry a breathalyser for few years now. Wink

I understood that, as of now, they are still legally required but there isn't a penalty for not having them. Also the law is about to be scrapped.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
6 Jan 2020 2:06AM
Two things I`ve learned from this thread.

1. you need a DBS
2. you need a breathalyser

LOl what ever happened to the good old wife, fall out of line and she could just simply string you up by the nuts.

Smile Smile
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2020 7:59AM

Quote:I've had a number of different DBS checks, it's mostly been an insurance policy for kids groups and businesses wanting to ensure there is nothing in your background that may make you a known risk to there operation, customers or corporate data.

DBS checks are primarily for activities on private property.
The police are not normally active on private property unless a crime has recently been reported

Quote:
At kid based events a high vis seems to help too as people assume you are official.
Friendly discussions are my first approach though.

One marked Masham Photographers gets me anywhere Grin
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2020 1:46PM

Quote:
the other is the "Data Protection Act" and the new version is much more comprehensive than the last!

Actually in a way it is less comprehensive in that firms are now allowed to hold any information they need to carry out a contract.
What is different is it introduces potentially huge fines for those who do not comply.
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
6 Jan 2020 2:23PM

Quote: One marked Masham Photographers gets me anywhere

I have a clip badge marked with the name and logo of a local and well-known organisation which I am involved with. It also has my own name and title (no not Lord Carabosse! Tongue)

Come to think of it the only time I ever had a problem was when I forgot to wear the badge at a local art fair where a particular artist objected to me taking photos... in case somebody copied her ghastly paintings. I was able to genuinely assure her that I would delete any photos inadvertently taken of these objects!

Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
7 Jan 2020 3:55PM

Quote:I have a clip badge marked with the name and logo of a local and well-known organisation
I think you may have mentioned this before, is it Hampstead Campanologist Society? Rings a bell.

7 Jan 2020 8:04PM

Quote:is it Hampstead Campanologist Society? Rings a bell.

You should pop down some time............. we'll show you the ropes! tongue-light.jpg

Just Jas 18 26.3k 1 England
12 Jan 2020 9:50AM

Quote:Not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but if a person in a public place asked you to stop photographing them then you should, as if you continue it can be seen as harassment under the law.

Who's harassing who, though....!
hobbs 15 1.3k United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 1:25PM
To ask someone to stop photographing them isn't harassment.

I photographed an event for a recently for a charity, there were signs up before entering the event, as well as people being informed on purchase of ticket that photography and filming would take place and how it was going to be used. I was asked on several occasions by people politely if I would not photograph them. I did as requested. Now I wasn't doing anything wrong, but as you have to put yourself in the shoes of the person asking. They might not be comfortable with having people taking there picture and if you continue to do so you are making the situation worse for that person you are also potentially setting up a confrontation.

You also need to think why they might be asking, I had two situations where the children who were with the adults asking had been adopted, they're birth parents were not aware who had adopted the children to protect them. If the charity had published those photographs it could of put the children at risk. In this case I actually deleted the photographs as I didn't want them published in error.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
13 Jan 2020 1:22AM

Quote:Not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but if a person in a public place asked you to stop photographing them then you should, as if you continue it can be seen as harassment under the law.

Dead write and Its one instance were a police officer can ask you to stop if a complaint has been made, there out there to keep the peace.
13 Jan 2020 2:25AM
It's amazing how the paparazzi get away it, then! Tongue

Harassment of celebs is their stock in trade. Police? By the time someone complains and they arrive 3 hours later (assuming they turn up at all) the photos will be taken and the culprit long gone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.