Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Claim 10% off PortraitPro with code TQ1434 now!

The street photography program on BBC4 TV tonight

hobbo Plus
6 1.0k 2 England
16 Mar 2017 9:12PM
Please catch up with this program if you didn't watch it first time around....

Didn't catch his name, but the photographer is Glaswegian.....very upfront, and using a double flash unit poked into people's faces, including the super-rich of Knightsbridge, or the hen parties of Blackpool

One thing puzzles me......

A few years ago, I was invited to enter a few of my street pics in an exhibition......all was totally spoilt when I was asked for ....Model Release , for each and every recognisable subject......totally daft, but the organizer insisted......it ended up with me exhibiting two shots where faces were hidden or covered.

The guy in the program tonight is getting very well know, he is a pal of Photographer Martin Parr, who also takes and likes edgy photo books.

A debate on this please!

How is it.....if I did this, I would probably be thumped or arrested, or, sued ....yet others seem to get away with it.......

I consider myself to be quite an edgy Street Photographer.....to cover myself, I always give my card, to all of my Street Portrait subjects......the card states clearly that their photograph, may be used on a forum, in a publication, or in a photo book, of my own making.....they also get offered free, emailed Jpegs.....No one has requested that I don't publish or put online yet.

I do receive the very rare whinger, I sometimes, walk on....but would delete pics if really asked, or threatened....at 79 years of age.....I think Im pretty safe.

Discuss please.....pile in......Please!

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 15 18.7k 6 England
16 Mar 2017 11:52PM
What was the program called ?
bricurtis Plus
11 2.1k 49 England
17 Mar 2017 12:07AM
On Camera: Photographers At The BBC.
17 Mar 2017 12:18AM
hobbo Plus
6 1.0k 2 England
17 Mar 2017 6:13AM
The program was..

WHAT DO ARTISTS DO ALL DAY.... BBC 4

Featuring photographer Dougie Wallace...

A MUST watch

Hobbo
andybebbs 9 459 1 England
17 Mar 2017 8:15AM
watched it and i would not be happy if he pushed his camera in my face like that.
Andy
hobbo Plus
6 1.0k 2 England
17 Mar 2017 8:43AM
Having had a night to sleep on it.....

I realise, that, although I really don't like his ....in-your-face-pushy approach.....he is recording very clearly the levels to which much of our so called society has sunk.

The, more than, super rich swanning around in the most exoensive of cars, clothes, with bags, watches and jewellery to match.

In direct comparison to the..

Abysmal Streets of Blackpool observing the foul goings on of so called hen parties or stag nights......what used to be fairly innocuous boozy matey occasions, have turned into something totally depraved. No wonder the youngsters of today are so mixed up......

Or........Am I just showing my age and should just......Shut Up?

Come on! Get this debate going.....it's a meaty one.

Hobbo
Rev2 Plus
7 301 2 England
17 Mar 2017 9:13AM
A great watch and he deserves all the credit he gets for his 'in your face' photography. The results are amazing. I'm the total opposite to him, I wouldn't have the b*lls to do what he does.
SlowSong Plus
8 6.8k 29 England
17 Mar 2017 9:23AM
I've still to watch this. It sounds like his MO is very similar to that of Bruce Gilden, whom I was lucky enough to see at last year's photo show. But Gilden actually connected with many of the people he photographed and lived and worked amongst them.
I'm looking forward to catching up with the programme.
ChrisJP 9 1.7k Wales
17 Mar 2017 9:54AM
As a photograher and member of the public, I don't like his 'in your face' approach, far too confrontational for my liking, but it has to be said that his images are brilliant and the double flash approach certainly makes them stand out.
Rev2 Plus
7 301 2 England
17 Mar 2017 10:44AM

Quote:What this one ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jgr3w/on-camera-photographers-at-the-bbc

No, it's this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08j8jj1/what-do-artists-do-all-day-26-dougie-wallace
SlowSong Plus
8 6.8k 29 England
17 Mar 2017 12:34PM
Just watched the prog. I think you have to have that cheeky swagger to get away with this sort of photography, and he has it in spades. He sees things and moves so fast that he's been and gone before most of his subjects have even noticed.

The drunken goings on in Blackpool were hilarious and when people are out having fun like that then they're not going to bother about being photographed. In fact, the opposite. The posh lot in Knightbridge may not like it, but I suspect they enjoy showing off their posh cars etc. so might get some sort of pleasure out of the attention.

I can only dream of getting such brilliant shots. I'll certainly be looking through his portfolio soon.

17 Mar 2017 1:01PM
Dougie came across as a real master of his craft. He has the confidence to get into his "victim's" personal space and does it in such a matter-of-fact way that most would find it difficult to complain. He has such a high degree of unconscious competence with his kit that he's captured the shot before the "victim" realises what's happening.

Do I like his work? No, but I can't deny that the man's an expert!
17 Mar 2017 2:57PM

Quote:The program was..

WHAT DO ARTISTS DO ALL DAY.... BBC 4

Featuring photographer Dougie Wallace...

A MUST watch

Hobbo

Lol I was left scratching my head, I was watching the wrong program Smile
peterjones 15 4.6k 1 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2017 8:41AM
I am watching the episode with great enjoyment, many thanks for the link GrinGrin

The over confident barrow boy in your face wide angle cheeky paparazzi technique works very very well for Dougie Wallace with his mode of shoot and shift but probably not for the majority of us who also enjoy "street" photography; I like his camera always at the ready in his hand ready set up no faffing with controls etc by which time the picture has long gone ... brilliant stuff .... GrinGrin

I do like and enjoy his work but do I want to emulate him? Probably not.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.