Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

The street photography program on BBC4 TV tonight

Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
20 Mar 2017 8:14PM

Quote:162600_1490031631.jpg

and this looks like a Leica to me Smile

Yep as I said, he uses a mix, check out some of his other stuff on youtube.
20 Mar 2017 8:16PM

Quote:I watched the other photography programme yesterday which featured, amongst others, Jane Bown. Undoubtedly an accomplished portrait photographer, but she showed no interaction or interest in her subjects and lacked any sort of friendly repartee, which, if we read articles on how to get the best from your subjects, are skills the snapper needs to learn. I liked her grumpy approach. Why smooth up to people when, if you are as good as her, you get the goods by being quick and no-nonsense.

She would show a lot or are you just referring to some short snippet.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
20 Mar 2017 8:19PM
What was shown on the programme and in her own words. She said she wasn't interested in the people.
20 Mar 2017 8:29PM
What was the program. I can remember seeing one about her that was about an hour long.

This one

SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
20 Mar 2017 8:43PM
No. On Camera, at the BBC. She was one of the featured photographers. Not entirely about her.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 3:00PM

Quote: Why smooth up to people when, if you are as good as her, you get the goods by being quick and no-nonsense.

Maybe this has something to do with most photographers being individuals and choosing the way they prefer to take photos.
Sooty_1 11 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 8:03PM
It's a Leica Q in the picture, in case it hadn't been positively identified yet.

Nick
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
23 Mar 2017 8:31AM

Quote:
Then I have a further question for you.....how is it that both MArtin Parr and and Dougie, can shoot complete strangers Willy-Nile, Many against the wishes of the subject....most times the photographer turns on his heel and walks away.
Come on folks.....Discuss!
Hobbo

There seems little need to "discuss" in respect of Martin Parr.
In the follow-up episode Martin was filmed happily using flash on his camera with the knowledge and seeming co-operation of ballroom dancers and the organist, to the extent a film crew filmed Martin as he worked during the event.
One way to try to micheiviously mislead is to tell some of the truth, omitting some important detail. Then waiting to see if some, including some posters in this thread, jump to the wrong conclusion.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
23 Mar 2017 9:08AM
Hi, Len,

I instigated this thread in the hopes that it would develop into a lively exchange, which can only be a good thing, if members are to learn or at least have an opportunity to discuss various methods of photography.

It was obvious to viewers that the ballroom dancers were quite happy to be photographed and filmed for the documentary at the time.....look at a portfolio/gallery of images taken by Martin and you will see that he too can be up-front with his camera.
I have already stated that I like the work of both Martin and Dougie but wouldn't dare use their very edgy approach to Street Photography.

Hobbo
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
23 Mar 2017 9:31AM
They both have credentials by way of publications and members of photographic bodies to back up their work so I expect if anyone was too upset the photographers would be able to produce their IDs and offer their business cards to allay an suspicions as to their motives. I, on the other hahd, like to get close (albeit I wouldn't dare use flash, even if I knew how to work it), but all I have is my catalogue on EPZ which, although open to the public, doesn't have the same cache. Neither do I have the "people" skills. Smile
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2017 6:28PM

Quote:A few years ago, I was invited to enter a few of my street pics in an exhibition......all was totally spoilt when I was asked for ....Model Release , for each and every recognisable subject......totally daft, but the organizer insisted......it ended up with me exhibiting two shots where faces were hidden or covered.

I'm surprised that the exhibition organisers insisted on model release forms. As I understand the law on street photography, you can take photos of anybody in a public place and you don't have to ask permission or get a release form signed.
I believe you aren't supposed to take photos in Malls or private property, however.
Obviously if someone asks you to refrain from taking pics of them, you should normally do so.
You can also lay yourself open to legal problems if your photos are judged to ridicule some stranger in the street.
I think this is an important issue for street photographers and would appreciate any further opinions or advice on this subject.
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2017 6:55PM
I forgot to add that it is wise, or indeed probably mandatory, to get model release forms signed if it is proposed to use a photo for a commercial assignment.
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2017 7:15PM
As mentioned above, the late Jane Bown was featured in a documentary - "Looking for Light", which I can recommend seeing if anyone is a Jane Bown fan. It is likely to be repeated on TV - I'm pretty sure Sky Arts was where I first saw it. However, the DVD is available through Amazon.
I hope the BBC 4 programme we are discussing on this forum becomes available too - either on DVD or as a BBC store download.
Fay Godwin was a truly great photographer and I love the Eve Arnold pics of Marilyn Monroe. The war photographer, Eamonn McCabe has proved to be a superb landscape photographer, too.
I don't think it matters how you capture a great pic as long as it works. I've tried taking street photos with normal, wide angle and tele lenses. Many photographers prefer normal or wide angle lenses for street photography but I usually prefer a tele zoom lens because I like to operate as somebody on the periphery of the action - a bit of a voyeur, I suppose!Wink
Sooty_1 11 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 11:29PM
I think you'll find Eamonn McCabe was a sports photographer and picture editor, rather than a 'war photographer'.

Perhaps you mean Don McCullin?

Nick
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2017 9:01AM

Quote:I think you'll find Eamonn McCabe was a sports photographer and picture editor, rather than a 'war photographer'.

Perhaps you mean Don McCullin?

Nick

Whoops! Your'e right, Sooty_1. I did mean Don McCullin. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.