Prime Day 2020: Get An Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial

The ten challenges of the Zen Tog

riprap007 16 1.6k 37 England
6 Feb 2008 8:19AM
good link Pete
robs 17 685 2 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2008 8:43AM
Good one for clearing a bad state of mind....

Climb a mountain with an interesting ridge nice and high up and try to compose a picture that emphasises that feeling of exposure, danger and beauty - with some ace light!

I would suggest some to try, but most the ones I know are in Scotland and probably best not attempted at this time of year unless you are particularly keen on mountaineering Wink There are some good ones in the Lakes though which are somewhat safer, but still give that feeling of exposure and danger.

If you are feeling really adventurous, and looking for a serious challenge, you could get this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-Ridge-Walks-Birkett/dp/0715316214/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202287064&sr=8-1

And then attempt to photograph each and every ridge in it - which probably includes gems such as the Aonach Eagach and The Cullin... which would be fun Smile
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2008 9:38AM
Here is a really good challenge for all camera club members. Try and take a photo which will score the lowest possible mark.

Most judges I have seen only use the upper half of the scoring range - see if you can produce work so awful, it scores a '1'.... (would also be fun to watch the judge struggle with that one Grin )

Zen Tog - you may need to join a club to complete this challenge, if you are not a member of one already. Geoff's club should suffice Wink
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
6 Feb 2008 9:55AM

Quote:The toughest tog challenge I can think of in the UK is to take some shots at a working abatoir

Got shots from an abattoir, though it was during the FMD outbreak so they weren't working, a friend has shots from one during a normal days business, but then he was commissioned to do that
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
6 Feb 2008 10:10AM
A portrait of an honest politician!
motoads 13 14 Australia
6 Feb 2008 10:11AM
a while back i set myself the challenge of taking a shot for each of the ePz genres... animals, architecture, black and white, etc...

i didnt complete the challenge due to unforseen circumstances but i do intend to give it another go sometime in the near future...

btw, regardless of what you take on, quotes like "im crap at landscapes" dont float with me... you either want the challenge or you dont, so why defeat yourself before you begin?

all the best, ads :o)
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
6 Feb 2008 11:00AM
There's an idea being banded around the Roll Call thread about challenges. I think it would be easy to set one up each week (or even more), use the already set up Challenge gallery and link to it in the forums. So zentog picks up one of the challenges suggested here. When he's accepted it, the person who suggested the challenge uploads a text image of the challenge to the Challenge gallery and then links back to that here so everyone can have a go.

It would work like the one hour challenge but allow a week (maybe month) or so to enter. No prize just loads of motivation to get snapping!
sidaorb 14 3.9k 2 England
6 Feb 2008 12:13PM
Pete,
Great idea but might be near impossible for some of the challenges suggested as they may be once in a blue moon photos.
Carl
ps Paul the Tower Bridge idea should be quite easy all you need to do is contact the port of london authority and I expect they will have a schedule of ships coming up the Thames that would require the bridge to open.
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
6 Feb 2008 12:41PM

Quote:Great idea but might be near impossible for some of the challenges suggested as they may be once in a blue moon photos.

yes, so just those who can would enter, people who may not currently be entering challenges in the challenge gallery.
PatrickSmith 15 1.2k 2 United States
6 Feb 2008 3:20PM
How about a really gritty self portrait that bares your soul to the world. Something like this! Then put it up at 1000 pixels on EPZ. I've seen some great ones here in the past year. Are you up to that?

Patrick
sidaorb 14 3.9k 2 England
6 Feb 2008 3:28PM

Quote:How about a really gritty self portrait that bares your soul to the world. Something like this!Then put it up at 1000 pixels on EPZ. I've seen some great ones here in the past year. Are you up to that?

Patrick

Patrick, he already has Zentog

WARNING CLICKING ON THIS LINK COULD SCARE SMALL CHILDREN Wink
PatrickSmith 15 1.2k 2 United States
6 Feb 2008 3:44PM
Yikes Carl! You should add a warning for adults too!

After seeing that, perhaps the closer self portrait idea is not such a good one...lol!

Patrick
kaybee 16 7.4k 26 Scotland
7 Feb 2008 12:55AM
Photograph the inside of a petrol tank
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
7 Feb 2008 2:57AM
Should go with a bang, Roy! Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
7 Feb 2008 10:58AM
Here`s a few, that should not be to easy and a little different to what you would normally cover.

A still life that includes movement, add smoke trails, water ripples etc.

Choose a tune from a band and come up with a fitting album/cd cover, see if the viewer can quickly guess the song and leave a comment of who they think the artist/band are.

A picture that speaks serenity (Zen) not my idea, can remember something like this from the past.

From the film seven and seven challenges (great film) each will test your imagination

1) Lust
2) Gluttony
3) Greed
4) Sloth
5) Wrath
6) Envy
7) Pride

An unusual close up of a common abject, it should not be clear what it really is.

Environmental portraitís and two challenges, not candidís, pooch has done one or two great oneís.

1) Life in the country, a blacksmith, game keeper, farmer, vet etc in there natural work settings.

2)Life in your town/city, your milkman, postman, traffic warden etc in the natural work settings.

Hope your feeling better soon Paul, I was just getting into this but Iíve got to go and kip Smile

catch up later.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.