Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

The value of the Nude image

9 Apr 2013 12:06AM
Seems to me and i might be wrong.But post a nude lady however bad or good the image might be the points reflect a perfect 10.
?????????????????Do we as men stop being as critical when judging an image when the nude female form is the subject as we would be in judging a slug on a cabbage leaf? Just a thought.
FlawedDesign 8 4 1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 4:11AM
Its hard not to see beauty in any nude! The human body is fascinating in all its shapes and sizes. I think the people in portraits whether conventionally 'good looking' or 'ugly' are always interesting to look at even if the composition is a little off or the lighting is weird ect. I know from my days of studying psychology faces retain attention when being looked at by the human eye. So surly a picture of a person (including nude ones), is going to warrant more interest and be more appealing to look at than a slug on a cabbage leaf : O! So if something is more appealing...maybe its going to get less criticism.

Also maybe people are less judgemental of nudes as they may not want to offend as a nude is a pretty intimate shot? Maybe some people are to embarrassed to give criticism or suggestions because they don't want other people to blush when reading them?
e.g. 'Maybe this shot would have looked nicer if the model was leaned back further so her breasts are more rounded?' ...that comment might make a few people doubletake or embarrassed...

...maybe women are more judgemental of female nudes when compared to men?

x
Just a few thoughts there...more questions than answers I fear
9 Apr 2013 9:04AM
When it comes to nudes i'd much rather see (and shoot) a carefully posed and lit artistic image than one thats 'naked for the sake of it'
EOS_fan 10 27 England
9 Apr 2013 9:23AM

Quote:Seems to me and i might be wrong.But post a nude lady however bad or good the image might be the points reflect a perfect 10.
?????????????????Do we as men stop being as critical when judging an image when the nude female form is the subject as we would be in judging a slug on a cabbage leaf? Just a thought.

Agreed!!
Doesn't just apply to nudes though, I have seen many 'glamour' shots on here where the model may be topless or wearing a bikini / lingerie, and sometimes the quality of the shot doesn't equate to the number of votes it receives. Some of these shots are at best very average, sometimes with no part of the picture in sharp focus, forgive me if you think I'm wrong but aren't the eyes supposed to be the most important focal point in a portrait (as long as they're visible of course), if they're not visible then the photographer must obviously decide what he / she wants the viewer to focus on.
There are many other pictures on here in all categories which in my opinion have taken much more skill from the photographer than the average glamour ones mentioned above, but they seem to get missed and therefore don't attract the views / votes / comments they deserve.
Just my 10p's worth Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.