Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

The War on Digital Manipulation Programs

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : It's been a personal abuse thread for too long.

CAI_Images 14 54 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:24AM
hi everybody,

I am starting a war on software such as photoshop, painshop, and whatever you people use, to many people on here use these programs and some of us use them so much the photo you started with has became a new picture all together, now dont get me wrong a little crop and a bit of brightness or contast or adding a border never hurt nobody, but i am fed up with the amount of people who use it over the top to make there pictures look extremly brilliant. People who like myself take wildlife pictures. Because if you are editing the picture your taking the natural or wild out the picture.

just think, you have a nice picture of a butterfly on a flower, but theres a dead plant right next to it, most people who use the programs would take it out, which in away is removing the nature of it.

also why should people use these programs?

they cost a lot, and whats wrong with your pictures in the first place?

if it isnt good enough you just get back out there and try again, i cant see why people must constantly pick at there pictures, changing every little fault that props up, otherwise you might aswell just stop because your not taking pictures for the right reasons and the pictures your taking and editing aint worth uploading because, no one really wants a perfect picture, thats the whole point of this site is to talk and get help not, " lets see who can get the most perfect digitally manipulated picture"

well thats all from me now and i hope you all just think about what i have written and take in to consideration the next time your taking pictures or are about to edit them.

thanks

Chad
culturedcanvas 15 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:27AM
Interesting comment ....

Nonsense of course but interesting none the less .....

Wink
18 Jul 2007 11:31AM
how is it nonsense?

its true i bet you half the people on here cant take a picture without using a image thing to change it or make it better
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:31AM
I agree with you in one way but also, I don't think a 'war' on Photoshop is the way to go.
I would like to see a 'war' on lazy photographers who go out and take sloppy pictures with the attitude 'I'll fix it in photoshop later' or those who put ridiculous effects on their images and destroy an otherwise perfectly good picture.
culturedcanvas 15 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:32AM
I would like to point out that if you shoot digital .. simply processing the raw file is digital manipulation. What about the days of film and dark room work? The idea is to create an image which has impact ... of course you can just take your prints to the lab .. however then you are letting someone else decide how they should look.

Stop worrying about the process and worry about the image.

I simply don't think its right to attack people for their chosen style of taking and creating images. You have your own way .. others have theirs ...

D

EDIT - Agree with Sam above ..
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
18 Jul 2007 11:34AM

Quote:Nonsense of course but interesting none the less .....

Agree with the first bit!
18 Jul 2007 11:39AM
im not worried about the how people put them on here, im worried about the ammount of people who think there shot needs touches added to there shots,

why do people do it??

is it because there too scared to show there photos, feeling embaressed if someone says they could do something?
because i download my photos from my camera to my computer and i dont care how people put hem on here, but i dont see why it is nescasery to keep changing things.

i bet most people couldnt last a week without using some sort of photo editor to tweak there photos, and i most probably be right in saying if there was a ban on editing stuff there would be less people submitting photos!
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Jul 2007 11:40AM
Brush the chip of your shoulder, Chad, and get on with doing whatever you're doing.
FatHandedChap 15 1.3k England
18 Jul 2007 11:41AM
Does this mean we have to take away the enlargers, dodge and burn tools, spotting inks, different devs etc from the 'traditional' printers.

Software doesn't particularly give us anything new - it merely makes the process quicker, easier and opens up opportunities to the masses who did not have the time, money, or space to master these skills in a wet darkroom.

While we're at it let's take cameras from all photographers and only let them use paint brushes. Wink

It takes a creative and skilled eye to create a final image, how they get to the final image really doesn't matter a bit.

Right, I'm going back to sleep after that......
18 Jul 2007 11:43AM
i have no chip on my shoulder, im just telling thetruth and most people wont be able to cope with it.
GaryR 14 1.3k England
18 Jul 2007 11:47AM
I must say that I agree with both Sam and Dan. I personally would prefer to get it right in camera. However, it is up to each of us how much or little manipulation is performed on an image.

I have seen images on this site that have no manipulation and are amazing, but I have also seen images with a lot of manipulation that are equally amazing. There is a lot of skill and imagination needed to create great images, whether it be in camera or post production.

Just be honest and true to yourself and your preferred method of picture taking / image production by whatever means makes you happy.

Gary.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Jul 2007 11:48AM
"You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear."

Lot of truth in that, Chad.....and I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:48AM

Quote: im just telling thetruth and most people wont be able to cope with it.

Yawn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Jul 2007 11:49AM
well, get a life, probably...

sorry to be rude though
pennyspike 18 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2007 11:49AM

Quote:im just telling thetruth

As you see it, no more, no less.
What people think about your opinion is equally valid.