Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Thoughts on sharpening please

Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
26 Jan 2007 3:34PM
I am just wondering when is the best time to sharpen a JPG?

I save most of my work as TIFFs, and when preparing one for EPz, normally I reduce the size to the 500 pixel requirement, apply sharpening and then save as a JPEG, at the same tim eobviously aiming fo rthe 60k file size. My question really is, is this the accepted method to achieve the best results in the 60k file?, or should I save as a 60k file and then apply sharpening to the compressed file?

I feel sure someone will know the answer to this, I only hope I have explained this clearly (or sharply !)

Thanks

Phil.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2007 3:36PM
I sharpen just before I print or create a JPEG.

If you sharpen the compressed file your editor will uncompress it then re-compress it to save it so even more compression errors.

P.S use save for the web as it removes the EXIF data leaving more room for the image.
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
26 Jan 2007 3:48PM
Also, sharpening will increase the file size a bit, so for the purpose of uploading to the Gallery - where you want to get close to but not more than 60k, perhaps - it's more practical to sharpen then save as a JPEG, otherwise you tend to over-step the 60k.
klewis 16 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2007 5:09PM
Resize to 500px and then sharpen. Using the Save for web option removes the Exif info as someone said. In the Save for Web option you can specific the exact filesize you want. In Photoshop there is a small right facing triangle in the dialog box, this opens a dialog box for you to specify the size you require.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.