Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Three choices - D90, D5100, D7000

LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 7:29AM

Quote:D300s (snipped) is a much better camera than any mentioned above - D7000 included.

That depends. The D7000 has more resolution when needed, higher dynamic range and processes 14 bit colour faster. I agree the D300s has the better AF and build quality.
KBan 16 512 4 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 10:38AM
I had a D80, now use a D90, very pleased with the performance

Keith
Spangler 10 18
25 Nov 2012 12:16PM
I've just added a D5100 to my kit. I presently have a D80 (which is going to Mrs Heelis, whose D40 is a little the worse for wear) and a D200 which does sterling service but shows its age when it comes to low light situations. The availability of the D5100 at its current prediscontinuation cashback price was too good to miss and I anticipate using it as a travel camera and in the aforementioned low light situations. Apart from its somewhat quirky control layout, lack of screwdriver focusing and no CLS master facility (all of which are of minor significance) I consider it to be a very fine camera and astonishing value for money.

Andrew
thewilliam 12 6.1k
25 Nov 2012 1:23PM
The D300s is second-tier professional camera and is built for many years of reasonably considerate everyday use. It has reasonable weather sealing as well as good AF. Obviously the "single-digit" Nikon cameras ar more rugged still but even a jobbing professional rarely needs that level of durability.

As Len suggests, the D7000 is a more modern camera with better image quality and quite rugged enough for amateur duties though I know one established studio that uses the D7000 as its everyday camera.
KNS 11 106 2 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 9:47PM
Read the OP again....
25 Nov 2012 10:36PM
I bought a D90 a few weeks ago now based on advice from this thread. I genuinely love it, I think its a massive improvement on the D80 in many respects, especially in the consistency of the metering. I'm glad I got the D90 in the end - it was worth it just for the control wheel at the front, I'm so used to it! I'm sure the D300 is a great camera but its over the size and weight that I was looking for. It's also too expensive - I got the D90 for well under $400 (AUD), and I'm still broke.

I've tested it in a few situations and I'm comfortable with the belief that a D90 will be good enough for me for a long time to come. I can't see myself needing another camera for a long time Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.