Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Three killed on that mountain

discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 5:28PM
Breaking news from the BBC.
Confirmed in the last few minutes.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
24 Jan 2009 5:38PM
Huge thanks to the rescue services for the job they did in such difficult conditions .. what a dreadful thing to happen.

I'm wondering how experienced these climbers were if they climbed despite the forecast. That's a huge risk they took.
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 5:55PM
Its a risk that even the most experienced take. That is why they do it. Warnings would have been taken into account but the challenge remains.
It shows how excellent the Mountain Rescue teams are and deserve far more attention and funds they currently get.
Ken
tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 5:57PM
The survivors should be made to pay for their rescue, they were warned about conditions and still decided to go mountain climbing, then it was necessary for other people to risk their lives to go rescue these selfish idiots!
User_Removed 13 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 6:01PM

Quote:The survivors should be made to pay for their rescue, they were warned about conditions and still decided to go mountain climbing, then it was necessary for other people to risk their lives to go rescue these selfish idiots!

Rubbish. They're tax payers, they've already paid. Mountain Rescue are volunteers and give thier time willingly and for free. SRT helicopters are already paid for. There is no cost. It's an old and facile argument favoured by the media and the press.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
24 Jan 2009 6:05PM
They're not that flush with resources otherwise they wouldn't desperately need the precious donations that people raise for mountain rescue and rescue dog training.
User_Removed 18 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 6:08PM
Lol. Here we go (Again!)
24 Jan 2009 6:09PM

Quote:They're not that flush with resources otherwise they wouldn't desperately need the precious donations that people raise for mountain rescue and rescue dog training.

They are volunteers. They exist so that people like those that were unfortunately killed today can do the things that they do with the backup of a rescue service. Yes, of course the service costs money and a lot of it is covered by the volunteers themselves but most of it is given by people like me who appreciate what they do.

I have never needed thier services but it doesn't stop me donating. I may need them one day.
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Jan 2009 6:42PM
Avalanches are a rare event in Britain, so mountaineers would not expect them.

As for the mountain rescue teams, the RAF from Valley, Anglesey regarded mountain rescues as training exercises and civilian mountain rescue teams were always volunteers who were mountaineers, offering their services free of charge.
Brom 16 804 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 6:42PM
the helicopters may be paid for but the fuel is an additional cost. we cant say whats happened till we find the details but if they have gone out against advice and common sense then they should i think bear some responsibility for their actions and putting others lives at risk
tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 6:48PM

Quote:Quote:The survivors should be made to pay for their rescue, they were warned about conditions and still decided to go mountain climbing, then it was necessary for other people to risk their lives to go rescue these selfish idiots!Rubbish. They're tax payers, they've already paid. Mountain Rescue are volunteers and give thier time willingly and for free. SRT helicopters are already paid for. There is no cost. It's an old and facile argument favoured by the media and the press.

lol...the funding of the rescue teams doesn't come from tax you idiot, they get their money from donations, my point though more than any is that they are putting other peoples lives at risk through their own stupidity and selfishness.
24 Jan 2009 6:51PM
actually the funding for the raf aircraft and units comes from the raf and the mod. no funding is provided for their support as its seen as ideal training for their war time role
24 Jan 2009 6:54PM

Quote: my point though more than any is that they are putting other peoples lives at risk through their own stupidity and selfishness.

The Mountain Rescue teams are volunteers. Most of them are mountaineers. They *willingly* put thier lives at risk so that mountain sports can happen.

Which bit of that don't you understand ?
24 Jan 2009 6:57PM
i think theres a diference between mountain sports and well prepared people having a genuine accident and tose people who go against common sense and stroll up a mountain with a tesco bag and a couple of sandwiches

though as i say we dont know the details in this case
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 6:57PM

Quote:Which bit of that don't you understand ?

All of it, I reckon.

There is no information available as to the two parties equipment and training and accidents can happen to the best trained and experienced climbers. "Stupidity and selfishness" is a harsh description considering you know nothing of the circumstances.

Yes there are idiots who go out ill-equipped and without experience but there is no indication that this is the case here - unlike that idiot last year who got rescued from Snowdon three times in five weeks, now that one should definitely have been billed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.