Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Three killed on that mountain

lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 1:45PM

Quote:We drive, or travel on public transport (which can also kill), because it has become a necessity.

Most journeys aren't necessary though and a lot of necessary ones could be done on public transport (one bus on the road is safer than 50 cars.

Quote:Climbing a mountain has never been a necessity.

It is if you live at the top!
User_Removed 13 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 1:52PM

Quote:Climbing a mountain has never been a necessity. It is a hobby.

Being a member of a Mountain Rescue Team is also a hobby. An important one, granted.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
26 Jan 2009 1:54PM
I'm sure they feel it's a vocation rather than a hobby. Similar to volunteer lifeboat crews etc.
26 Jan 2009 1:56PM

Quote:I'm sure they feel it's a vocation rather than a hobby. Similar to volunteer lifeboat crews etc.

Good analogy.
Dave_E 12 125 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 5:19PM

Quote:QuoteTongueerhaps we should all give up work I'll drink to that!

.......................oops - that can kill as well, can't it!

and according to statistics it does so, far more than the outdoor pursuits referred to above.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
26 Jan 2009 7:04PM
Hmmm. I can feel a bit of a visit and a chat and a scribble coming on! Since Lomond Mountain Rescue is just down t'road .. and I could talk to them about the dawgs too.
26 Jan 2009 7:45PM

Quote:Hmmm. I can feel a bit of a visit and a chat and a scribble coming on! Since Lomond Mountain Rescue is just down t'road .. and I could talk to them about the dawgs too.

I'd read that article.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Jan 2009 7:49PM
Me too!
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
26 Jan 2009 9:59PM
Cor fanks! Perhaps Pete would give it some space on the site as well, seeing as so many photographers shin up mountains.

Have got in touch with LMR and suggested it.

Maybe rescuers see rescue the same way as a health worker feels about helping people who are sick - being judgmental shouldn't come into it as what matters is getting them well again.

I can also see why some people see climbing as a necessity - it's a passion for some, like other things that people do because they feel them to be as necessary to health and sanity as eating regularly.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.